Thread: Slow peer to peer downloads

Slow peer to peer downloads

I'm really hoping that somebody out there will be able to help me as i'm at my wits end. I've just bought a spanking brand new PC along with signing up to a mega fast broadband provider but whenever i try to download something via limewire or any other popular P2P programs the actual downloads take days to come through (eg. 700mb file takes almost 48 hours) TalkTalk assure me that it's nothing that they're doing so where am i going wrong as my crusty old PC with a slower BB connection was lightning fast by comparrison!

Re: Slow peer to peer downloads

Are you by any chance using Avira AntiVir Premium, as I found I had to disable the webguard facility when using my download manager or downloads almost stopped?

try sourceforge.net look for shareaza. It will tell you what is wrong with your connection. Main thing, is a port being blocked by your modem. You will need to allow this port, and config your system to a static IP. Look for instructions in the software. I use it, it is pretty good. Limewire is literally poluted with viruses, spyware, adware, malware, etc all of which steal your bandwidth. Shareaza is open source.. ie.. FREE! Totally!

Quote Originally Posted by gbalkam View Post
    try sourceforge.net look for shareaza. It will tell you what is wrong with your connection. Main thing, is a port being blocked by your modem. You will need to allow this port, and config your system to a static IP. Look for instructions in the software. I use it, it is pretty good. Limewire is literally poluted with viruses, spyware, adware, malware, etc all of which steal your bandwidth. Shareaza is open source.. ie.. FREE! Totally!
    How much internet speed you are supposed to get? Consult from your ISP for the same issue? If by any other chances you are getting a good speed by downloading from other sources then its either the software problem or any firewall problem you might be facing?

hi , Use µTorrent its a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Windows with many features.

for more speed in download check this link How to increase the speed of Torrent Download?

Quote Originally Posted by gbalkam View Post
    Sorry, it was bit comet I was thinking of with port forwarding. Bit torrents.
    Shareaza doesn't require you to set up the port forwarding.
    Another reason, could be file availability, how many people are sharing, how many are firewalled, how many download slots are available. For example, a file with 100 users, each at 10 kps in theory comes in at 1000 kps (on mega-broadband which I have, 8megs bandwidth, I peak at 1000 download)
    In practicality, 100 users, 50 may be firewalled (0 kps download) 40 may have all the slots filled (pending) 10 may be available. Now if you consider of those 10, maybe 25% will be online at any one time, you have a dl speed of 100kps /4 or 25kps. (25% roughly for 6 hour time zones, when most users at online, (usually between 4 and 10 pm))... this is just an example as an illustration.
    Also you have we say, 1000kps download rate. BUT you have 100kps upload rate. (aprox) These factors all figure in to p2p. SO... Go to a site, such as tucows and dl a large file there, and note your download speed. Or go to your ISP website, look for USB modem drivers, and download that file (you can cancel after you check the transfer speed, you dont need the file, just to see how fast)
    If you are slow, Call your isp for troubleshooting for "Slow Speeds" They will test your connection "sync rate" and the set up you have in your home. (using a 25 foot telephone extention to plug your modem into the wall is BAD...very BAD... but a lot of people do it)