Thread: MySpace not working with Airtel broadband in Chennai

unsure MySpace not working with Airtel broadband in Chennai

I have been using Airtel broadband connection in Chennai. While I have had never experienced any problems with either the speed or the service but strangely for some unknown reason I'm not able to access MySpace.com. Everytime I type the URL, I'm redirected to the google search result page and even clicking there doesn't get me into MySpace. I tried accessing on my bro's computer with BSNL and MySpace is working fine there. I contacted Airtel to find out if they have blocked MySpace and they say there is nothing of that sort. Don't know what to do. Anyone could help me?

Re: MySpace not working with Airtel broadband in Chennai

Call them and confirm again. I feel they have surely blocked. Even I couldn't access without proxies here in chennai. I have managed to get not so dangerous sites ublocked on my connection in my past.

It seems to become a regular problem with airtel. Some sites do not function just like that!

I never had a problem with any sites being blocked with Airtel.
    I suggest you try changing your DNS to OpenDNS and see if it works for you.
    Warning: I have an attitude and I know how to use it.

Hey guys! thanks for the response. But the problem persists. Again called these Airtel guys and the same old reply. Hmmm...lets see

ah crap, i have the same problem as well. on call with airtel broadband tech support right now. did anyone one else got this working? the guy tells me he is able to access this from his machine... which means it's some sort of a DNS issue on their consumer gateway side. I tried tracert and it seems to hit the myspace server but that's were it times out. anyways wish me luck guys!

Try open dns for that which might help you out. Also check that your Windows Host file does not have any entry for MySpace. If yes then you might not able to get access for the same. Try some proxies too. If that work then definitely the issue lies with dns server. For that you will like to check your internet settings also. Try to check on some other system for the site that is working or not.

@Illinois - thanks for your reply and your suggestions. I resolved the issue yesterday, or I should say Airtel resolved it for me. Apparently that particular gateway IP of Airtel was blocked and so they moved me to a different one. That explains the tracert where I could see the timeouts were happening after it hits the myspace servers. [for those who are wondering what's tracert - it's a dos command that shows what is the route that the request takes to establish communication with the target server. try in your command prompt something like: tracert www.myspace.com

I know a bunch of other ips are still blocked, my brother uses airtel as well and myspace still doesn't work for him. i don't think he cares about myspace. I don't think many people do, neither do I but for building applications

PEACE!