Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2008

Internet on Linux

I just installed opensuse 11 to 32-bit on my PC. As the first thing I tried to install the modem but I do not know how to do that, in so-modem theres a folder with written "LinuxSuse 9.2" but I have version 11 and I do not know if its the same. In this folder, there are other two sub folders, if I open the first and click the file, nothing happens inside, if I open the second folder and click on that other executable, it tells me that there is not installed any application associated with that executable. How do I install the modem? I need some Linux dll guides that I have to consult little and often. Thanks for any answers.
Old 08-09-2008

What modem is that and how you want to connect it, Usb or Ethernet? If this is dell, you need to install ethernet drivers (as windows on the rest), while if it is usb driver you may already have it available on kernel (depending on the compilation that has suffered) or you better see if it is there on CD through Yast. If at the end yet there is no evidence to compile (if you have the source, in this case should be good unless specific errors dependency) or install (.rpm)
Old 08-09-2008

My modem is usb. I checked in the CD and there is a folder written as 'Drivers Suse 9.2' but I do not know how to start the setup. I tried that with the installer package but that was wrong. I do not know how you compile your source code and I do not know what should I do with yast. For pleasure since I installed suse just might explain better?
Old 08-09-2008

Enter usb modem and then from the shell dos (which I believe is written terminal) type dmesg and see what comes out to say if the brand of modem or something like that you already have the drivers tell me about.
Old 08-09-2008

To build a program from Linux you need to use the command line, the first one door in the folder where you have the sources and therefore:

. / configure
make
make install

If you have to do with the files of autoinstalling suse (extension. rpm), you can use the command rpm-uvh [nome_pacchetto.rpm] ever by a shell in the folder where you have the package (or simply click 2 times the rpm, OpenSUSE you install it on the fly in the event)
Old 08-09-2008

But as said before, if you can use the ethernet you have many fewer problems since it was attacked as it works now...

Good solution proposed by Jackson2 but serves only to see what the kernel hotplug device problem is.
Old 08-09-2008

Sorry to ask this but....how to open the OpenSUSE terminal?
Old 08-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIndigo View Post
Sorry to ask this but....how to open the OpenSUSE terminal?
"menu K" -> "system" -> "terminal" or "console"
Old 08-09-2008

Excuse me but i didn't go through that. I got it through different way. I saw that i can do right click on the desktop and then "open the terminal". Is this right?
Old 08-09-2008

I dont know about that but if that opened a black screen, then enter the string that says that "you do not have permission...". Enter your password and send the string sending dmesg.

TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Tags: