Thread: What is a lifecycle of a computer?

What is a lifecycle of a computer?

I have been assigned a school project in which I have to give details of the lifecycle of a computer. I don’t have very deep knowledge about how computer is made and how it is developed. I want to know how new hardware and software is developed. Since I am still in school, see to it that you explain all of it in simple language and spare me the tough technical terms. So is there anyone who will help me with my project. I just want basic details of software and hardware development that’s it.

Re: What is a lifecycle of a computer?

The development of the software takes place in various stages, the planning stage, the development stage, the maintenance stage and upgrading stage. I work in a software development company and I work in the department where we plan out the working and presentation of software. The first thing we get is a request from our client who explains us his/her requirement. This requirement is basically needed to fulfill the needs of his organizations working. Then we do research about his organization to find out how many people will need to use the software or how much data will be fed into it and many other details. When all these details are found, we contact our client and show him a rough idea about what his software will look like and work like. The client suggests some changes and we suggest our changes. Once the client is satisfied, we get to the planning part of the software.

Once the requirements and expectations of the client side is acquired, the software developers plan out the structure of the software. Here in this part the software developers develop a diagrammatic or maybe an virtual representation of software to see the connections of the modules. Just take an example of a video game, don’t go deep, just consider the starting menu. On the start screen you see menu with certain options like Play, Multiplayer, Options and Exit. Once you click on Play, you get some more options like New Game, Load Game and Back. In Multiplayer, you get options like LAN game or Online game. Similarly in Options, you get various options like Video settings, Audio settings, Gameplay settings and many more. So the structure that video settings should come when clicked on options or decreasing the resolution should change the size of buttons all comes under software planning. All this planning is done in this stage.

After all the planning is done, the software developers have developed a structure for a software the software developers plan how to execute the planned software. Here planning is done for the programming language that has to be used. Single software doesn’t just work on basic development. Visuals have to be developed; the data has to be stored in database, it has to be working in multiple computers of different configuration. So all the planning about which software or programming language should be used to create which part is done here. Also the teams are developed so that work is properly assigned. How many people should work on database and how many people should develop visuals. After this is done work starts on the software. After many days of hard work and development software is developed.

Many times it happens that though the software looked good when in concept or visualized to the client, after development and after using i8t the software starts generating some problems or maybe doesn’t satisfy the needs of the client. So again the changes have to be made in the software to rectify it. Also sometimes it might happen that the client’s organization brings some new changes while the software is under development. So this again calls for changes in software at last moment. This is the most difficult problem as these changes are not planned and have to inserted in last moment. Just inserting one module doesn’t work here. One has to also modify other modules related to it or which will work along with it.

After a software is developed, it has to be tested. Many tests are done over it to find out maximum bugs and errors that are possible. These bugs and errors one found are rectified and then the software I delivered over to the client. Also in restricted time period detecting each and every bug is not possible. So it is best that software developers let the client use the software. During the use, it is obvious that client’s organization will use the software to the level that was never planned during development. If any bug or error is found, the software developers again have to solve them. Also in the maintenance of the software, many times client requests to add some new feature after use of software for some months. So this is how software has to be maintained all the time.

It might happen that the software developers might find out that the software that they have made could have worked much better if some part was modified in a different way. Maybe the software would have worked better if instead of module A, module B would have been used. Such many other things are discovered after some months or maybe after some period. Also the client might ask for some new development to be done in the software. So to provide all these changes, the software developers provide an updated version of the existing software; again some work has to be done. As you must know that every software has version names, like xyz software v1.0, xyz software v1.2 and son on. So some changes in performance or some new feature s added as the version proceeds.

A lifecycle is also involved in making of a hardware part. The process of it is very secretive. Not many people know about some new hardware that is being developed. The whole planning process is done in secret and only limited people know about it. Since the hardware is produced in secret, it has to be made quickly as competitor might make it before them if news reaches to them. To achieve this, the resources have to be collected beforehand. Once all preparations have been done, team is assigned and work is begun on the hardware part. After many days, the hardware is ready and announcements are done for it.

The marketing of hardware is harder than that of software. Software is made for a specific organization, but hardware is made for a purpose. Also many other similar hardware products exist in market that is somewhat close to it. So selling a product of hardware needs to be properly advertised. Again sending an hardware overseas is an mammoth tasks. Software can be uploaded on internet for people to download it in any part of the world. Again after selling the hardware, the developers need to keep it updated with new drivers or upgrades for supporting softwares and other hardware peripherals. Again after the hardware gets old, you have to retire it and bring out a new one which will match the requirements of the new softwares and new systems.

dawidbrook Guest

The life cycle of a computer is a is the whole process which is a computer travels in different interval of time. It includes the phase in which it is manufactured and and distributed to the time it is decomposed.