Thread: How to Program Sata Controller

How to Program Sata Controller

For a project work I need to learn and figure out something related to Sata programming. I tried to go on Google and find some help over there. but ample of stuff on it is out of my range. I cannot even understand what they are discussing. So just consider me as noob and provide me basic information how can I begin this. What are the ways by which I can start to learn Sata programming. Thanks.

Re: How to Program Sata Controller

For that you have to first learn how to send ATA commands to a drive with sata interface. That is actually important or else your board cannot identify the device connected. ATA commands is something that you can start with. You have to understand that how to first find a sata controller and then the second is the process of sending ATA commands to an controller in your system. That is a kind of research work for you. It is not a one day job. The programming basis consist of learning and understanding the codes which are used between hardware interface. You have to analyze a number of code and learn how they response. This is also beneficial in troubleshooting a hardware in future. The process which is involved in Sata controller programming is same used for IDE also. So there is no great difference. If you can learn that you an also figure out how other hardware work or response.

To learn that you have to first understand what is AHCI. This is a standards that actually is used in order to specify the functions carried out by Sata controllers. Wikipedia has good resources on that. There are number of operations involved in AHCI programming.

Did you know about Sata-IO. This is a small program that is used in development of SATA. This tool can be a lot more helpful for you to understand and operate Sata controllers. The tool als help you to understand and work with appropriate interoperability among various sata devices. At start you an begin with this tool. Here the official website sata-io.org can help you to find out how this all entire stuff works. Go in this website and learn from various blogs, article and news. You will require help of such website to stay in touch with the upcoming updates and changes.