Thread: The question is should I try STL or not

The question is should I try STL or not

You know I hate the usual Template Library. I disgust the truth that you cannot use DEBUG_NEW with him to locate memory seep outs. I also like all the STD: blah blah kind of obsession when no classes in MFC to do virtually the same work, but a lot, much more enjoyable. So do not even like CArray. Though CPtrArray, CObArray CStringArray and are extremely useful. You cannot inherit any of the STL classes; they do not have implicit destructors so that it cannot, for example, do good things that can be in MFC as:

Code:
    class CServerNames : public CStringArray
    {
    public:
    CServerNames();
    virtual ~CServerNames();
    } ;
    Where this class is loaded in all the names of the servers from anywhere in one line. Wherever you want to put in the code. In an MFC environment I see no reason to use it. Never! I know my statements are very forward, but I'm invoking the conversation.

Re: The question is should I try STL or not

Thus, namespaces are meant to clarify things. You can write def std:: vector what you like and write a using STD declaration. I also read somewhere that the STL classes are designed so that they perform very well (which may be very important), while the MFC classes that virtually all the staff I have no doubt that they are so good. But I have to do specific tests on the performance of the MFC - STL, and if someone has done something like this would be very happy to hear some comparative results. In addition, you can write STL everything (no UI) classes that are portable. You never know what compiler you may need to use.

This is a very interesting discussion. I have to say I'm VC + + programming professionally for just about 8 months and I'm not as experienced as you. On the other hand I've never used STL. Well, if also the Windows program using Borland C + + I do not believe there can be used MFC. I have not handled Borland C + + ever since version 5.0, so I'm not certain. Nonetheless, I be firm that we must locate if there is a considerable difference between the effectiveness MFC - STL. But it is true that the legacy of STL is not allowed? I thought that this library was designed to be extensible. This is a very serious problem if it is real.

I'm a little confused as to what the problem is with DEBUG_NEW. I believe he has by now been pointed out my confusion. STL containers do not comprise virtual destructors, since they are designed for efficiency. Including a virtual destructor means that there is now a vtable vptr and processes in line is effectively eliminated. I do not see why it is so important to write a wrapper class for an STL container if you want to add functionality. As you said he had written lots of MFC extension classes for the functionality proposed by the STL. It's not the point. No need to write anything if you presently use the STL directly.

I do not want to get involved too deeply because this is more a religious issue to discuss how the OS is better Windows or Linux? However, there is a point that basically plays an important role in considering whether to use MFC or STL and is platform reliance. If I have to write software that is supposed to run on different operating systems, the MFC does not help at all. STL is part of the C + + standard, which is portable without any problems.

What compilation errors? I'm assuming you mean the illegal use of STL in this case, the same applies to the MFC or anything else. If you use something in a way that was not the intention of using the result will be the same compilation or execution errors. Well, although this depends on the specific situation, even Microsoft had to admit that the STL classes are most effective in most cases.

All we can contrast MFC and STL containers is since you cannot do user interface with just STL. So our first discussion on the container. Here MFC and STL are dissimilar in design, but I must speak different paradigm. STL is the use of templates is polymorphism, generic programming, inheritance by using MFC otherwise (i.e., the virtual function) to the polymorphism. So these are two different forms of programming. The template will do the polymorphism at compile time and get MFC runtime polymorphism.