Thread: CString vs std:string

CString vs std:string

I have started learning the programming languages and in that I came across some of the keywords like CString and the Std::string and too many others, thus I have some doubt on that I mean to say, I want to know about their functioning in the programmed code and the most importantly the pros and the cons of the mentioned keyword. And if suppose I have to make some decision about choosing from one of them then which one should I choose?

Re: CString vs std:string

See Cstring is the useful data type. They really make simpler a lot of operations in MFC, and generally used in string manipulation, though, there are several unusual techniques to utilize CStrings, mainly I would say It is too difficult for people coming from a pure C background. One of the very suitable features of CString is the capability to concatenate two strings.

You can follow this example :

Code:
    CString graycat = gray + cat;

I would like to tell some of the advantages of the cstring like first of all you can simply store and supervise strings in C++ source code, after that cstring offers loading strings from its original resources, along with that offers well-situated Format Message technique as well, the major important feature include well integration with Windows APIs. Moving the instances of CString approximately is contemptible.

Well, if there is a requirement of scripting convenient C++ source code, the choice among the two mentioned, should be std::string, which is the part of the C++ standard library. But apart from the portable applications, I would say I discover that the CString class is a lot additional suitable than std::string, some of the reason includes, it permit loading strings from its initial resources, then it proffer a suitable Format Message technique. So according to me you should use std::string.

See this is the simple program definition that’s you can refer for STD::string.

Code:
    #include <afx.h>
    #include <iostream>

int main()
    {
      CString P("welcome to visual C++");
      std::cout << P.GetBuffer(0) << std::endl;
      return 0;
    }
    And other one is for cstring you can refer both of these

Code:
    #include <atlstr.h>
    #include <iostream>

int main ()
    {
    CString strtesting (_T("This is using the CString “));

#ifdef UNICODE
       std::wcout << (LPCTSTR)strTesting;
    #else
       std::cout << (LPCTSTR)strTesting;
    #endif

return 0;
    }

I would say you can simply use CStringA as a ANSI string class in whichever code and the CStringW like a wide-character string class. And you are confused about both of the class I would suggest you that you should use the Cstring only as you can see the advantages of the class as mentioned by the above user, and off course nowadays we just make applications in the Windows API only thus I would say this would be well suitable