Thread: Cannot open database "db1. Login failed for user 'BIGRED1\ASP.NET'

Cannot open database "db1. Login failed for user 'BIGRED1\ASP.NET'

Hello friends, I had just downloaded sql server 2005 and install and connected it with visual web developer. I can even create a database using VWD. But when I’m trying to open the page with any connectivity to the database I got a error stating database "db1" requested by the login. Login failed for user 'BIGRED1\ASP.NET' does any one know what modification I need to do to solve this problem? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Re: Cannot open database "db1. Login failed for user 'BIGRED1\ASP.NET'

Hi, its seems like you had setup your connection to windows account to connect it with the database rather then specifying the username and password. Your connection to your self when your trying to connect your database through Visual Web Developer at design-time. If your running the application as an administrator then you might had not grand the permission of your account to an database, and it’s fail and give you an error.

Hello, even I’m having the same problem with it. I think so this might be due to ASP.NET user. My problem is I don’t know how to add ASP.NET user in the database? The express manager do not have any support for this I had even run few queries like create user and alter user quires which give an error message stating that I don’t have permission for this. Can anyone guide me how to do this in step by step I will be very much thankful to that person.

Hi, you can try this to get the things done these are few step to be followed 1st specify your user name and password in connection string. Just check weather application run in different account which is having a permission to access your database after checking grand the permission to the ASP.NET account. You can even grand the permission by executing a query sp_ grantlogin ‘MachineName\ASPNET' in machine name you have to provide your appropriate machine name or an sql server name. Hope this information will be very much helpful to you.

Hi, if your problem has not yet solved by granting the privileges and creating the user name for database then this may help to solve your problem. 1st change the authentication mode to sql authentication and then write the connection string again with the username and password for the sql server and add the Trusted_Connection=no in the connection string and after that it may look like this "Server=localhost;Database=test;integrated security=sspi;Uid=sa;Pwd=test;Trusted_Connection=no;";