Thread: Need suggestions in choosing a correct database

Need suggestions in choosing a correct database

I have just opened my software company and I advertised a lot in order to obtain software projects from various clients. Thus nowadays I got one project, it is nice project, I am capable of doing it, but I need some suggestions in using a particular database for this project. The database should be capable of storing more number of records in it, as it would be accessed very frequently. So provide me some suggestions so that I could choose the database for my project.

Re: Need suggestions in choosing a correct database

I would surely help you in this case. Basically there are two types of databases that you might know, the desktop database and server database. As you told that you want your database to be online for twenty four hours as well it is going to be accessed very frequently. So thus if you expect multiple users to access your database then you should definitely go for server database because this type of database have a capability to maintain the consistency and integrity of data.

In this current market there are number of database vendors which provide the database for each individual company. But if I have to suggest you a particular database vendor then I would recommend you to go for MySQL. I found this open source database excellent and also it optimizes any of SQL queries easily. So if you go for this then you can configure the settings as necessary or required by you. Thus have a look on this database features from its official site.

Well thanks for providing me solutions; I would provide you more details about my query. I am having a project and in this I want a database which would process more records, around 1 million records the database should be able to store and I guess this is approximate figure calculated for a weekly basis. I do understand that I would require the multi user server database as simultaneously it would be accessed by several users at same time.

I guess it is very important project that you got as it requires you to store million of records a week. So basically you should go for better database as if you go for a regular database then there might be a chance you may lose all your data, may be due to incapability, inefficiency. So better is that you don’t go for MySQL and instead of this choose Microsoft SQL Server as it provides all the features that you require and even it is most appropriate one for backup system.

Yes I do agree with the above post that as you are expecting millions of record transaction approximately for week duration then you should go for standard database. The above recommended SQL server is also a good choice or you can opt for Oracle. There is not a much difference between these databases, it is just that with whichever you are compatible with or you are used to it you should select the same and you can then start with your project.

If I had the option then I would go with Microsoft SQL server as it provides easy interface and it also offers multithreaded process and this is the thing which you also require. So once you login with Server Management Studio then you can setup maintenance plans, backups, replication, integrations etc. as needed for your project. I would say that it also fits in a regular budget. This database is suitable for large project the same which you have got.

What kind of API do you need? SQL Server, SQLite and Oracle are all major players, though can get a bit expensive if you do not need a full enterprise database. There are some other companies that provide database solutions that are very scalable:
    - Raima
    - MongoDB
    - CouchDB