Thread: Text parsing

question Text parsing

I have a number of log files that I have to search for specific text. The information I need is spread over a couple of lines. For example:

Guest entry ID# 1447
    <<unimportant line of text, variable in length>>
    At 37/67

I am looking to gather the ID#, as well as the text following "At" on the third line.

I would like to export the information into a .csv file.

So far, the script that I have used is as follows (returning only the filename and ID#):

echo."Header 1","Header 2" > output.csv
    ( for %%a in (*.0*) do (for /f "tokens=5*" %%B in ('find "Guest entry " ^< %%a') do (echo."%%a",%%B,%%C))) >> output.csv
    start "" output.csv

advTHANKSance

Re: Text parsing

I an not sure about the issue but there is something which can help you. You can look below the thread link which has a similar solution. Second thing Text::CSV. This provides you support for composition and decomposition of comma-separated values. This class is enough capable of combing files in a CSV string and then parse the CSV string to an field.

script to extract data from text file and put into excel format

I'm not sure that hauling the text into Excel will work for these text files. To be honest, it is in support of a play-by-email game.

There is a lot of other information in the file, and the spacing of the text I want is not consistent throughout the files that I want to search through.

I am tempted to just get a virtual machine up and running with Linux so I can grep it, but that involves a lot of learning too, so I want to ensure that I have explored all the 'easy' Windows options first.

I suggest always using the Import Text Wizard when opening any text file in Excel. It guides you to define how the file should be parced and the data type of each field/column. From the drop down menu, click
    Code:
    Data/Get External Data/Import Text File
    and follow the wizard. My experience is that its a lot easier to define it up front than "fix" it after opening. The above is not code, but drop down menu navigation.