Thread: How to make changes in web.config file in asp.net

How to make changes in web.config file in asp.net

Hello everyone! I am third year IT. Recently I got subject for my first project which I have to develop in asp.net. Before starting that project my class teacher give me one assignment. I just need to know everything you know about web.config file as well as is there possible to do changes in web.config file of project. If possible to you also try to tell me that it is possible to access the web.config file remotely or not. Actually asp.net is new subject for me. Recently introduced in our syllabus. That’s why I need your help to know everything about it. I hope you will understand my problem and try to get back to me as soon as possible. I would like to say thanks in advance.

Re: How to make changes in web.config file in asp.net

Hey! I am also last year IT student. The new syllabus introduced by our university is really useful for us for better future. This is newest technology introduced by Microsoft. I have some knowledge about web.config file. Web.config file is nothing but the heart of your all project. In asp.net as you already know we use code behind model to properly arrange all the code of our project. When you start developing your project you will find this file inside solution explorer. It is possible that one project may contain number of web.config file in single solution. One easiest way to do changes in web.config file is simply double-click on name of that particular file in solution explorer. But for doing all these changes manually take reference of experienced person, as we are new in asp .net.

Web.config file is similar to our normal html file containing number of nested tags like container, button etc. there is only difference between our normal html file and web.config file is it contains extra information about the page compared to normal html page. The only purpose of making changes in web.config file is changing the functionality of your web site very easily compared to our normal html file since html file is collection of both code as well as interface information. Web.config file present inside asp.net is only information about gui and other important small features but not all code.

As far I come to know from my seniors it is possible to do any kind of changes in web.config file of your project. There is inbuilt facility provided by the asp.net. for using that functionality there is requirement of two classes they are as follow:-
    • System.Configuration
    • System.Web.Configuration

For consuming these classes in your project add their names at the top pest side of your page code similar to other files. After consuming these two files you will get the all the methods and properties required to access the web.config file remotely. Ask your teacher to use it practically inside your project. The procedure of handling web.config file remotely is standard one if you violate any rule of accessing it remotely you will fail to changes anything inside it and most probably results in freezing of your project.

In order to access the configuration file of the remote server on which you are deploying your website. The user’s computer must be capable of communicating with your server itself. for establishing such kind of communication there is requirement of some pre-defined components. These types of components are called as communication components. After installing those components you can access the web.config or say configuration file of your system through ASP.NET configuration API that is application programming interface.

If you observed carefully there are number of tags available inside the web.config file similar to our normal html files. If you want access that particular file remotely there is requirement to access these tags in sequential order only. If you violate the single order of sequence than there is not possible to access web.config files that particular tag on which you want to do changes. So at the time of doing all the changes remotely fist make sure that all the sequence of tags you are accessing is correct or not.

YES! It is possible to do all the kind of changes in web.configu file of your solution both manually as well as remotely. If you want to get more information about them simply switch to internet and download the pdf files having guidelines of doing this. As you already said this is nothing but a subject of your syllabus I hope in your reference book you will get appropriate answer for your question. If you find it difficult to implement these new concepts inside your project, then there are demo projects also available on net which will guides you properly.