Thread: State management techniques in asp.net 3.5

State management techniques in asp.net 3.5

I am second year computer science student. Currently I am learning asp.net 3.5. Yesterday my miss give me one assignment to gather information about state management techniques available inside asp.net 3.5. I just want to know about their types and there practical use in web site. I am not expecting any multiline code from you. I am just interest in brief information about them along with if possible their advantages and disadvantage. I am waiting for your replies desperately. Thanks in advance.

Re: State management techniques in asp.net 3.5

As you already know websites uses http protocol for communication. Http is stateless protocol means http is unable to store user specific information like username and password and all that. That’s why asp.net introduces new feature called as state management techniques. There are total two types of state management techniques available inside asp.net 3.5. First one is client side state management technique and next one is server side management technique. As name suggests all client side management techniques are operate on client side where as all server side management techniques are operate on server side. The main use of these techniques is remembering all users who visit your particular site.

Client side management techniques are techniques that operate on client machine only. There is no need of separate server to make this techniques work. There are three types of object present in this type of technique. First one is cookie. It is nothing nut a collection of small information stored on client side. The main aim using cookies is keeping track of all the visitors if your web site. Actually they are used to distinguish all the visitors based on cookie stored on their machines. The only disadvantage of using this is cookies may be disabled inside browser. Second one viewstate this is an inbuilt feature of user controls present inside asp.net 3.5. This is also used to store information about individual user. And the last one is querystring the only disadvantage of using this technique is they are unable to store too much information inside them. And they are visible to user at address bar.

Client side management techniques are not guaranteed one that’s why people like to use server side management techniques instead of client side management techniques. All these techniques wants separate server in order to work properly. First object used in this technique is session object. Used as same way as cookie object of client side state management techniques. I don’t have much information about them. The last one I know is application object. It is also used as session object. There is one difference between these objects. That is session stored user specific information whereas information stored inside application object is available to all people who visit your site.

If you want to know more information about state management techniques I will suggest you to download pdf files available on internet. As you are fresher there is no requirement of any code associated with that. It is better to learn about them from your teacher. If in future you come across problem like this you will get appropriate answer for your query easily. I know there are number of solutions present in asp.net to do one thing. Always choose that option which is suitable for your requirements.