Thread: tool for KSH scripting

question tool for KSH scripting

hello all
    can anyone suggest me the tool which run on windows plateform and provide the KSH scripting env. please suggest.
    I used the CYGWIN , but it is not support most of the commands of unix..
    please help............

Re: tool for KSH scripting

Quote Originally Posted by atul9806 View Post
    hello all
    can anyone suggest me the tool which run on windows plateform and provide the KSH scripting env. please suggest.
    I used the CYGWIN , but it is not support most of the commands of unix..
    please help............
    Autl,

You can try ActivePearl, its basically provides full support for Windows Script Host, making it an excellent tool for system administration tasks

UWIN or Unix for WINdows, is developed and released by AT&T Laboratories and David Korn - the creator of Korn shell. UWin basically consists of a set of tools and libraries which helps application developers compile and run Unix applications natively on windows. The tools include a complete shell (Korn Shell) for windows which is bundled with all the command line tools you find in Linux/Unix. UWIN is not a new development in fact, it was around since a long time back and AT&T even enjoyed a tie-up with Wipro technologies (a foremost IT firm in India) to sell this package for commerical use.

hi sid
    Is this tool also provide the unix shell environment ?? as I used it for perl programming only one or two one time. I can do the shell scripting in it ??

hi sid
    Is this tool also provide the unix shell environment ?? as I used it for perl programming only one or two one time. I can do the shell scripting in it ??
    I dont know whether ActivePearl can be used for unix shell environment but there are some ports of common GNU utilities to native Win32. In this context, native means the executables do only depend on the Microsoft C-runtime (msvcrt.dll) and not an emulation layer like that provided by Cygwin tools. If you don't care about having a full UNIX shell environment, this is a great download for you, so download GNU Utilities For Win32.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    I dont know whether ActivePearl can be used for unix shell environment but there are some ports of common GNU utilities to native Win32. In this context, native means the executables do only depend on the Microsoft C-runtime (msvcrt.dll) and not an emulation layer like that provided by Cygwin tools. If you don't care about having a full UNIX shell environment, this is a great download for you, so download GNU Utilities For Win32.
    Hi EINSTEIN
    yeah man, that I know.. and I dont want the full unix environment. I want only the shell with development tools so that I can do some shell scripting on windows...

Hi EINSTEIN
    yeah man, that I know.. and I dont want the full unix environment. I want only the shell with development tools so that I can do some shell scripting on windows...
    You can use the Korn shell (ksh) that is a Unix shell which was developed by David K. The main advantage of ksh over the traditional Unix shell is in its use as a programming language. Since its conception, several features were gradually added, while maintaining strong backwards compatibility with the Bourne shell.