Thread: How sessions are uniquely identified in ASP.net

How sessions are uniquely identified in ASP.net

I am Xi std. science student. Yesterday I went to my friend’s house. There we decide to go to one entertainment site for downloading new movies and trailers. We both are regular visitors of that site so we both log in to their site from single pc but in different tab window. When I tried to download latest movie from my window it pop ups me a message window. Showing only registered users are allowed to download this movie. So I download it from my friend’s window. He was already registered user of that site. That time one question comes in mind that how server will distinguishes between user to check whether he is registered user or not even when hell amount of peoples accessing same site.

Re: How sessions are uniquely identified in ASP.net

I appreciate your way of thinking. You are suitable person for science community. Your question is absolutely right. Let me tell you the answer. When particular visitor log-in on site it creates session for user. And along with that session also sends one cookie on client machine. cookie contains all information related to user like its username, login and all that. When visitor try to something on site like you did like downloading movie and all that that time sever lookout for that cookie associated with particular user to distinguish between them.
    For working this method one condition is necessary that on browsers cookie should be enabled.

Initially sessions use cookies to identify difference between every user. But sometime it may be happen that on visitors site cookies are disabled on browsers settings. Now another question will come in your mind now how they distinguish between hell no. of visitors so let me tell you that if cookies are disabled then site use cookie less sessions. Which creates unique URL for all users?

When user checked the checkbox Remember me at the time of login that time web site creates one cookie which resides on clients hard disk for that many days which are decide by web site developer normally this duration is kept around two days. In between these two days whenever that visitor open that site take his log name and password from cookie that resides on users hard-disk. These types of cookies are called as persistent cookies.