Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011

Want to learn Ruby on Rails

Recently heard about Ruby on Rails , I learned about the revolution of web application design, popularly known as Web 2.0, I have witnessed several technologies that revolve around it: Syndication RSS , AJAX , Tags , Web Services , etc. Today we find many community-oriented sites or the generation of content by users, such as: Technorati , Odeo , Basecamp , del.icio.us , digg , etc.

Many of these web applications are being developed in Ruby on Rails, raises several questions what is it exactly and how to learn this language. Please suggest me a book which will help me to learn Ruby on Rails.
Old 04-01-2011

Re: Want to learn Ruby on Rails

Ruby is a scripting language, multi-platform object-oriented purely free software was created by Yukihiro Matsumoto known as Matz. The first version was released in 1995, inherits characteristics from several languages such as Perl, Smalltalk, Eiffel, Ada and Lisp. As its author, is a language "apparently simple but internally complex." This means that the more we abstract in the object-oriented paradigm really will notice the complexity of language (at least in my case, as I come from structured languages and event-driven), I consider it a very intuitive language to a level almost human language.
Old 04-01-2011

You can learn Ruby programming with the help of a number of books that are available like Beginning Ruby it is written by Peter Cooper. This is the book from which i learned this language but to learn this language you should be aware that this language needs some extra ordinary skills. Go ahead and hope you will rock all the best.
Old 04-01-2011

Ruby was designed for rapid development and easy. Every day this language is gaining more adherents, so much so that Sun Mirosystems company, is supporting a project called JRuby is a Ruby interpreter written in 100% Java. While Rails is a framework, based on the language Ruby , allowing the rapid development of web applications using the MVC ( Model-View-Controller ).
Old 04-01-2011

It was first released publicly in July 2004 and implemented in an application-oriented project management called Basecamp. Currently, more people joined the development of Rails we can see here the members. Rails is based on these principles of development:
  • Do not Repeat Yourself

The first rule to my knowledge does "not again", is one of the most innovative things I could find in this framework. Imagine having a form, and call as many times as you want and wherever you want, just with a line code.

• Convention Over Configuration

Says "Settings Convention rather than" very well with this, the framework says: Hey I noticed that you always use it that way, or I see you always have to set this up here because we do not do something, I give you this set, if you respect this configuration will save you time, but want to do it
Old 04-01-2011

Very good introduction to RoR. Much is talking about this language and certainly you have to set aside some time to know more background. I was much struck when i read on a website that a few months ago where it has mentioned that php developers are considering migrating to this language. Very good introduction to this new technology, which in particular did not know at all, and as you mention is just the tip of the spear to begin to study more in detail. Anyways thanks for the information

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , , , ,