Thread: Information about Ruby on Rails

Information about Ruby on Rails

Ruby is a scripting language, multi-platform object-oriented purely free software. This means that the more we abstract in the object-oriented paradigm really will notice the complexity of language (at least in my case, as I come from structured languages and event-driven), I consider it a very intuitive language to a level almost human language. Ruby was designed for rapid development and easy. Every day this language is gaining more adherents, so much so that Sun Mirosystems company, is supporting a project called JRuby is a Ruby interpreter written in 100% Java. Among characteristics language are:
    • Ability to make calls directly to the operating system.
    • Very powerful string handling and regular expressions.
    • No need to declare variables.
    • The syntax is simple and consistent.
    • Automatic memory management.
    • Everything is an object.
    • Singleton methods.
    • long.
    So far I think we have a basic overview of what is Ruby.

Re: Information about Ruby on Rails

Rails is a framework for web application development, open source by nature, is based on the design pattern Model View Controller (MVC). The first rule to my knowledge does "not again", is one of the most innovative things I could find in this framework. Imagine having a form, and call as many times as you want and wherever you want, just with a line code. Have a table in your database , and manipulate the records as an object and its fields as an attribute, no need to declare anything, are just some applications of this principle of development. Says "Settings Convention rather than" very well with this, the framework says: Hey I noticed that you always use it that way, or I see you always have to set this up here because we do not do something, I give you this set, if you respect this configuration will save you time, but want to do it, no problem did not bother me, for one example:
    class Order <ActiveRecord:: Base
    end

Rails was originally a web application called Base Camp designed for, but then extracted therefrom and July 2004 for the first time to the public in. The version 1.0 was on 13 Completed in December 2005. Version 2.3 was released on 15 March 2009. It included, among many smaller improvements so-called templates. These are used to repeatedly generate required configuration directly to the creation of application allow. With the engines it was possible to embed plugins in other applications such as Rails applications. Nested forms now allow comfortable, defined dependencies between models in the view mapping. Rails is based on this version of the middleware rack and therefore allows direct access to them. And with Metal Rails, it became possible application parts that are called very often and only provide simple functionality, under waiver of most comfort, the Rails offers to accelerate hard.

Any information should be provided only once. So it goes in Rails, for example, thanks to active record, set the columns of a table in the database only. Instead of requiring such information encoded a second time in the source code or configuration file, reads active record that information directly from the database. Rails can be automatically created for the model getter and setter methods so that the data be written to or read from the database. This method also has the advantage that the information can not be inconsistent, if, for example, changed the database, but this was forgotten for the configuration file. Rails expects reasonable default values. It is expected such that the primary key of a table of type Integer , and ID is, a model called Customer in the file #{Rails.root}/app/models/customer.rb is stored and the associated table customers say. This model is a 1: N relationship with a model Contract linked, so it is expected that in the table contracts a foreign key called customer_id exists. If these defaults do not apply, they can be easily reconfigured, in most cases, the developer will not be disturbed by the extensive configuration options.

To develop and test the features of the Ruby package associated Web server WEBrick server as application. For productive use are Apache or Lighttpd with FastCGI recommended, but also any other web server with CGI - FastCGI support works or. Another possibility is the most part written in Ruby web server Mongrel is, in contrast to WEBrick for production use is appropriate. From the Apache module mod_ruby is generally discouraged in, instead, Phusion Passenger (also known as mod_rails) is recommended. This is not only very fast and low maintenance, it is here in contrast to all other named servers also do not need to restart the Web server when an application is deployed again. This is particularly the shared hosting sector important. The backend of a Rails application is usually a relational database . Access to these is made by using ActiveRecord. It is an ORM layer, which class to a table and an attribute to a column maps a. A record in such a table corresponds to exactly one instance. Currently, a number of known databases such as DB2, Informix, MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server and Sybase are supported.