Thread: Console application v/s windows application

Console application v/s windows application

I have got a desktop computer, I am looking forward to be a software programmer, but frankly speaking I do have a any knowledge about the the programming and all that stuff, so I joined an institution of in order to overcome my weak spots , but when my instructor asked us to create a console application, I had no clue what he was talking about , later on he asked the students to open up an existing windows application , then I also I was clueless, I could not open my mouth that and ensured that I did not goof up, so I need your help and please tell me how I can create and differentiate those applications in the Microsoft's Visual Studio. I am waiting for your response.

Re: Console application v/s windows application

A console application is a computer application created to be used through a text-only computer interface, the example for such application is s a text terminal, the command line interface of few operating systems mostly used in the case of Unix like operating system and the DOS operating system as well . Another suitable example of a console application is a text-based interface that you will be able to see in a few Graphical User Interface (GUI) operating systems, for instance Win32 console of Microsoft Windows.

A user usually interacts with a console program by making the use of a keyboard only which he utilizes after seeing in the display screen, which is quite different and opposite to the GUI applications, which usually makes the use of a pointing device such as a mouse . A big number of console utilities with the name of command line interpreters are generally also called as command line tools, but abundant Text User Interface (TUI) application are also there .

As the speed and and regular usage and requirement of GUI applications have increased over time, the use of console applications has very much reduced, but not disappeared totally . Many people basically favor console based applications, while a few organizations still depend on the already available and pre designed console applications to manage their important data processing tasks.

Windows Forms is the identity being assigned o the graphical user interface and some times referred to as a application programming interface (API) that is an integral part of Microsoft's .NET Framework, providing right to use to the local Microsoft Windows interface elements by covering the existing Windows API in MSIL , which is a byte code or sometimes called as managed code. While it seems as a substitute for the previous and more difficult C++ based Microsoft Foundation Class Library, it does not offer a example similar to model-view-controller.

You can write the following C# program that uses a Windows Forms and is therefore a Windows application.

Code:
    using System;
    using System.Windows.Forms;

public class HelloPeople
    {
    public static void Main()
    {
    MessageBox.Show("This is an example of Windows application ");
    }
    }