Thread: PHPBB or SMF

PHPBB or SMF

I want to install a forum and know from my own user experience, phpBB and SMF. I think both systems are quite good, and when I tried to find out some differences between both, I didn't find any useful solutions in other forums. So lastly thought to post over here. I am expecting some quick response from your side with the proper details of phpBB and SMF. Among the security problems with phpBB and that therefore some providers do not allow this system, I have read. Apart from that, you can give me reasons that speak for one or the other system?

Re: PHPBB or SMF

SMF is the new, future-oriented and theme / CSS file to adjust easier. Anyway, I've heard that, and the adjustments to the theme and the CSS file I can confirm from experience. phpBB beginning I used to, but I have been excited immediately after the switch from SMF. I was then recommended by some people who have very busy forum systems. When phpBB you have not just a coder but very many and very many MOD Coder. The phpBB 2.0.x has not as many features as other systems but this is one able to upgrade very quickly. I've also retrofitted with me all that I mean this must be the purely, All this is the phpBB3 anyway so then in it already have. Really hope that the first beta coming soon.

While SMF came out at the very first Realease and by now the version 1.1 is in beta, did not phpBB at the announcement of version 3.0 also. This is as far as I can believe the voices of many capable people, the database of phpBB very bloated and slow compared to the DB by SMF. Themes are much easier to adapt to SMF, while one is at the phpBB probably only lose all that hair, before everything works as it should. Modifications have to be integrated with the SMF package manager by quickly and easily (even when SMF 1.1 in safe_mode off). For me is phpBB Thus, two out of the race as soon as version comes out 3, I'll be watching this, but a change is only an option if the SMF to lengths outperform should be, as I just too the pleasant Code of SMF used by me.

I have dealt a very long time with various board types. Currently, we have chosen the Simple Machines Forum, which can be administered in proportion to other boards and simple design. In the current range of functions all over the bulletin boards, it is always very difficult to choose the right board. Practice makes perfect since it is known in the eating. And ultimately, it is so. You opt for a forum and start to build it. But there comes the moment when you see another forum, which has some nice feature that you want to have. And if this feature does not let go, then starts again the admin import, export, customize ... say: install again a new forum software. It must finally find each one for himself and his own needs, which Board website on the proposed match.

About phpBB I can not tell you much because I do not know it very well, only the non-standard design like me. I have chosen me for phpBB because in the liberal systems simply the best and largest community. This inexpensive ribbon is also expanding wonderful. The alternative would be some for me only a BB, which I can not afford it. One can also easily customize the SMF (navigation, etc.) or use the mkportal describing what works so well with the phpBB. I have also seen that many users would opt for the phpbb, because they found the SMF forums are very tough in the side structure and the navigation ago.