Thread: Cannot understand Enumerated data types

Cannot understand Enumerated data types

I am a looking forward to be a software developer, but my few areas in certain languages are not strong enough first I will consider to be strong enough in those areas I will appear for the the Microsoft certification, then I am planning to do the freelancing for my own earning, after going through a bit of threads I will clear out my issues, but I am in bit of doubt about the enumerated data types , if you have any idea about that please let me know, I would appreciate more if programmers and developers reply to this question, please post back your responses.

Re: Cannot understand Enumerated data types

In computer software, an enumerated data type some times also referred as enumeration or with the name enum is a type of data type comprising of a collection of named values known as elements , it has also some other named value known by the name members or enumerators of the sort. The enumerator names are generally identifiers that perform as constants in the a object oriented approach. A variable that has been declared as having an enumerated type can be assigned any of the enumerators as a value.

Some enumerator types may be build into the language. The Boolean type, for instance is often user defined enumeration of the Boolean values that normally are true and false . Many languages permits the programmer to describe new enumerated types. Enums are usually used when we know all the probable values of a variable and wish to elaborate them in your own significant words.

Values and variables of this sort of data type are generally put into practice as fixed-length bit strings, often in a format and size well-matched with a few integer type. A few languages, particularly system programming languages, permit the programmers to mention the bit grouping to be utilized for every enumerator. In type theory, this user defined types are frequently considered as tagged unions of specific types.

Code:
    	main()
    	{
    		char *vwest = "west",*vnorth = "north", *veast="east", *vsouth = "south";
    		enum place { east=1, west=2, south=3, north=4};
    		enum place dir;

dir = east;

if( dir == east )
    			printf("Not able to move %s\n", veast);
    	}
    The above program is the example of the enumerator data types that defines the enumerated data type about the direction, this enumerator data type is been used to with the help of if else condition. This are the user defined data types that are used to store similar type of data.