Thread: How does ?: Conditional operator in C# operate

How does ?: Conditional operator in C# operate

I am a student on IT student studying in a well reputed college in mumbai. My graduation course comprises of six semesters and I have to clear each semester with 50 % marks in each and every semester , if I fail in any of the two subjects i.e score less than 50% of marks in any two subjects then I will not be promoted to the next year. I have learned and memorized all the the subjects but I am quite concerned about the C# language , I am quite weak at it , and I am quite weak in the Conditional operators. I just wanted to know about the ?: Conditional operator in C# and about their operation , I will be so glad if any developer or programmer comments on this.

Re: How does ?: Conditional operator in C# operate

The ?: operator is known as the conditional operator. It is sometime also known as the ternary operator. It normally comprises of
    conditional-expression: and along with that it contains null-coalescing-expression it can be expressed as given below
    • null-coalescing-expression ? expression : expression

If there is any conditional expression then it can be in the form b ? x : y first calculates the condition b. Then, checks if b is true, x is calculated and becomes the answer of the expression. or else, y is calculated and becomes the answer of the expression. A conditional expression never calculates both x and y. This operators can thus be used in case of if-else statements.

The conditional operator is right-associative, that implies that expressions are arrayed from in the order from right to left. [for instance : An expression of the form m ? n : o ? p : q is evaluated as m ? n : (o ? p : q).
    The initial operand of the ?: operator should be an expression of a sort that can be completely converted to a data type bool, or an expression of a kind that implements operator true. If none of these necessities is fulfilled, a compile-time error will be encountered.

In this types of operators, the second and third operands of the ?: operator manage the kind of the conditional operation. Let X and Y be the types of the second and third operands. Then,
    • If X and Y are the same kind, then this is the type of the conditional operator.
    • Otherwise, if an implicit conversion is there from X to Y, but it is not present in the opposite manner , then Y is the sort of the conditional operation .
    • A the above situation once again if there is any sort of implicit conversion from Y to X, but not in the reverse order , then X is the kind of the conditional operation.
    • If none if these happens no expression type can be calculated , and a compile-time error is encountered.

The run-time executing of a conditional operation of the form b ? x : y comprise of the following steps:
    • First, b is calculated , and the bool value of b is evaluated
      • If an implicit casting from the datatype of b to bool persists, then this sort of conversion is completed to generate a bool value.
      • o Or else , the operator true defined by the kind of b is called to generate a bool value.

Considering the above example :
    • If the bool value created by the step you have mentioned above is true, then x is calculated and converted to the sort of the conditional expression, and this becomes the answer of the conditional expression.
    • Or else , y is estimated and converted to the type of the conditional operation, and this results in the answer of the conditional operation.