Thread: What is File Handling in Visual Basic 6.0?

What is File Handling in Visual Basic 6.0?

Hello friends, I wanted to know what the File Handling in Visual Basic 6.0 is. I haven’t understood this topic and want to know as it in my syllabus. I am having a test next week and I don’t know anything about file handling in visual basic 6.0. so, if anyone having any information about file handling in visual 6.0 then please let me know as soon as possible.

Re: What is File Handling in Visual Basic 6.0?

Anything that is stored on a disk is given a unique name and is called a file. Data Files a data file consists of records which are a collection of fields. Also there is a record key or key field. All these terms are explained below. A. Field a field contains information of one of the attributes of an entity. For example, a student has attributes such as Name, Roll Number, Address, etc. Each of the attribute can be stored in a file as a separate field. B. Record A record is a collection of fields. Every entity has its own record.

Record Key or Key Field Data is stored in files in an organized manner. One of the fields which are an organizing factor is called the Record Key or the Key Field. For example, if the records are arranged by the Account No. then it is the Record Key. If the records are arranged alphabetically by the names then the Name field becomes the Key Field.

File Organizations is the manner in which data are organized, stored and retrieved is called file organization. Two common file organizations is the sequential files, the records are stored one after the other in sequence. All the records preceding the record you want to read must be compulsorily read. You cannot read an in-between record directly. Strings are enclosed in double quotation marks. Fields are separated by commas. Records are generally terminated by a carriage return character. An End-of-file mark is placed after the last record.

Every record in a random file is of the same size. Same fields in all records have the same size. In these files, records can be accessed in any order. Access speed is greater than that of sequential files. For example, a sequential file consisting the Name and Roll Number of three students. This is the perfect example of random file in visual basic 6.0.