Thread: How to add an application in MDT 2010?

How to add an application in MDT 2010?

I am new to the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010. So I am not having enough idea about it. My friend, who was having an idea about it, had installed MDT 2010 for me. Now I am trying to add an application in MDT 2010, but not getting successful. So I thought that somebody on this forum, must be having an idea about adding an application. I have got much help form you people, and now I am expecting some more. Please tell me how to add an application in MDT 2010? I am hoping that somebody will reply me soon.

Re: How to add an application in MDT 2010?

We now have an installation of Windows 7 x64-language English with the detection of senior pilots. Now you will deal with the post install of Windows. In our case, you'll add you install the Microsoft Office 2007. You're heading in the Applications folder, except that instead of adding the application directly you will create a directory for storing our applications. It is true that here you do not see the interest, but business applications are increasingly in large numbers and set up a store early can reduce the risk of being lost. So you click on the link New Folder. Now you create the Microsoft Office directory. Now you select our directory under Microsoft Office and then clicking on the link New Application. Then follow the screen instructions.

I would like to tell you that, you can then choose your installation type:
    • Applications with source files: This option is used the most, it is a sweet products applications, with applications in a subdirectory. It will then copy all the contents of the directory inside. This is the option we chose.
    • Application source files Without Elsewhere On The Gold network: This option will not create a subdirectory, but will generate a recording console. The code can be used to run a different installation of an application already copied or launch an installation from another location on the network (or even a local directory of the computer to install).
    • Application Bundle: This only created a record in the console. The bundle is used to install in related application enters an order. It is very useful if some installation steps it is necessary to restart the job. For example, as often, he could have created a application bundle named Internet Explorer 9 (when it comes out ...) that will launch in order:
    • Installing Internet Explorer 9 with a reboot
    • Installing security patches for IE 9
    • Installing the language pack IE 9

If you are having some issues with the details of the application, it is advisable to complete as much information as possible to be able more easily differentiated your facilities. Like the previous steps, you specify the path to your application (this step only appears if you chose the option Applications with source files), you choose here the DVD of Office 2007 Enterprise. Here you specify the name of Directory (like the OS, it must be very careful with this name because it is difficult to change later). Default name given is based on the details that you specified. As in my case I use the DVD of Office 2007 Enterprise, I changed the name to Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise. In fact, TDM is not bored, he says a source directory, so it will copy the ALL of its contents. This mean, in my case, copying 2 GB of data (because it is the DVD of Office Enterprise Workstation and Server).

he next step is extremely important. It defines the command line that will be used to start the installation of your application. If you're not careful this command will run the facility while asking for user actions. Now we want the user actions are minimized, or at least they are all applied simultaneously, ie at the beginning of the installation (MS philosophy since Windows Vista). In the case of the Office 2007 installation starts with running the setup.exe file. In the case of Office 2007 to perform an unattended installation, you will need to achieve in later actions. DOT will then copy all the contents of the directory. A beautiful tees MDT 2010 is that there is now a progress bar on the copy, something that was really lacking a copy when we realized quite important. After copying the console will display our new DOT application. To reduce user intervention (pretty important in the case of an Enterprise Installation), MDT automatically recognizes an installation of office and provides access to additional information from other applications. Select the Microsoft Office 2007 Standard, right-click and select Properties. Compared to other applications, a tab Office Products is available.

Default setup automatically ask all the standard questions, so you will have choose the following options:
    • 2007 Office product to install: Here you select the sub version of Office 2007 (for Windows 7 as it can include multiple versions in an installation directory). We chose to name our Microsoft Office 2007 Standard, so we select the Standard option.
    • Product Key: Here you indicate the serial number to use. In our case, each user to specify its own serial number, we do not select this option, which mean that the installation asked for the serial number to install Office. This serial number plain in the configuration files contained in directories MTD.
    • Customer Name: It says here the username.
    • Display level: You specify the level ic display of the installation
    • None: the installer will not display anything
    • Basic: Will display a simple window with a progression. This is the option we choose.
    • Full: Show all windows installation. Please note that in the case of an installation is very slow, it is possible that the serial number is displayed
    • Cache only: It is a specific type of facility where Office is installed but only the installation files are copied. This option can be used if you wish to use these sources with an installation of another application
    • Always suppress reboot: Prevents the installer to restart the job. Please note that if you want to restart the applications that you MUST not let them do it and leave only manage TDM reboot. DOT manages quite well the reboots, but it is strongly discouraged.