Thread: Inheritance in an object oriented language

Inheritance in an object oriented language

I am an IT student , I am in my first year of of my degree course. I am looking forward to learn programming languages as I have already learned C language , but according to my teachers and my seniors it is a procedure language which is soon going to be removed from the curriculum . The languages which I will learn will be object oriented. However it has some distinct features than that of C language. There are a lot of features such as Encapsulation , data abstraction , Inheritance and Polymorphism . I will appreciate if you can explain briefly on the the inheritance . I expect professors and senior level students to comment n this topic.
    Last edited by Satchel; 17-12-2010 at 04:27 AM.

Re: Inheritance in an object oriented language

There are a lot of advance features in languages like VB , C # and JAVA over C language. Apart from the features you mentioned they provide features such as flexibility in the code and res usability of the code which is generated automatically . Like c language these object oriented approach does not follow any particular procedure like it is being done on the C language.

The object oriented language supports a lot of features than just the inheritance than the object oriented language. They provide you features such as reusablity of code and flexibility in coding. This features was available in languages such as VB, C # and JAVA . The inheritance you are talking about is the feature in which you can gain the feature of some other class in your class.

I can explain this concept in depth , you will be well familiar with the concept of objects and classes since you are in the first year of your graduation course. If your program consists of more than one class and you want to use the the data members and member functions of some other class and want to implement in your code then inheritance lets you achieve this goal. But the class from which you are importing the features must be public ally accessible to the other classes.

This can be accomplished only when there is a parent child relationship between the classes . Inheritance is something when a new class is created from an existing class . The class which is taking access of the data members and functions from the other class is the child class and the access provider is the parent class . The parent class is also called as base class and the child class s also called as Derived class.