Thread: Export Database Model to SQL

Export Database Model to SQL

I am employee in one of the database management company and working on SQL and for some ease, I want to export database model diagram which is developed in Visio to SQL. I don’t like to work with in Visio only, so if anyone having any idea about this then let me know how can is this possible. Is there any special software required for this? And I want to tell you that am using operating system Windows Server 2003?

Re: Export Database Model to SQL

Yes it’s definitely possible to export database model diagram which you are developed in Visio to SQL for this you need to follow some steps that are:
    1. First right click on the database and then select all available Tasks and then go on Export data.
    2. Then you will see Import / Export assistant screen, and then click next.
    3. Now arrange the source database and click ones again on Next.
    4. Here configure the destination database and click next.
    5. You will get ‘Use a query to specify a data transfer' on Specify Copy or Query Table then Click on Next button.
    6. Now enter Select from data properties on the "Enter the SQL statement and click on Next.
    7. You’ll get one more screen with option 'Select all tables and views sources'. On this you need to select the table dtproperties in the target.
    8. After all this things over, click on Next.
    9. Now click on 'Run immediately' on the next screen you will get ‘Saving, schedule and replicate the lot’ then click next.
    10. After doing all this steps click on finished.

I think it’s possible and for this here I am giving you one software tool which is useful in export database model diagram which is developed in Visio to SQL that is DbVisualizer - there is a pro version and open version that should be sufficient. For this you need right JDBC - database driver of SQL Server, the tool shows tables and references orthogonal, in a circle, hierarchical etc. just by pressing one single button. You can use the free version for long time.

As per my knowledge one DbVisualizer is available for this purpose. DbVisualizer is the common database tool for database administrators and developers. It is the ideal solution since the same tool can be used on all main operating systems accessing a wide range of databases.
    Some feature of it as follows:
    • Database Browser: it has Tree based navigation through all database objects. Invoke management features and Browse object details.
    • Object Management of database: it gives Visual support to alter, create and modify characteristics for database objects such as tables. Edit and compile support for functions, triggers, procedures and packages. Specific support to the extensive database.

As per my knowledge about SQL Server 2005 Express it has hidden tools in it that is Database Diagrams a database-design tool that lets you visually layout your database tables and their relationships. After saving that diagram, the tool produces all the database objects that you included. You can useful for creating new database objects and to change the representation of existing objects.There are also some software tools for this purpose like Ultra ISO and GraphViz.
    Last edited by Steyn; 30-11-2010 at 12:57 PM.

For this transaction you can use SQL Server 2008 itself. It requires installing SQL Server Management Studio Express. By right Clicking on Database Diagrams you can create new diagram. Select the existing tables and if you have specified the references in your tables properly. You will be able to see the complete diagram of selected tables. Also there is second way to do this by using software tool GraphViz. In this tables and columns can be excluded using usual language; foreign key relationships are conditional, using naming conventions.