Thread: Data Execution Prevention (crashes explorer.exe)

Data Execution Prevention (crashes explorer.exe)

Recently I had come across problem when I try to look through certain directories, the problem is mainly arising when directories is ones with video files opening such directory create error as "Data Execution Prevention - Windows has come across a problem and its need to close." To resolve such problem I have tried many things one of them which I did is that disable Data Execution Prevention for my computer windows explorer after which now I am not getting such Data Execution Prevention message. But one error that I am still getting is "Windows has come across a problem and it needs to close." Which is still not solved similar a similar problem i used to face with my older machine which i just replace afterward. So if anybody has any solution for my problems please post the reply for it,t will be appreciable if my problem is solved by your solution.
    Last edited by Zurina; 17-10-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Re: Data Execution Prevention (crashes explorer.exe)

I was facing similar problem with my computer when i try to resolve the problem i came across the thing because of which such problem was appearing. It was because of the certain video files which was causing windows explorer to crash while opening the directories which contain video files. So after finding the cause for the problem because of which i as getting Data Execution Prevention i just fix the problem by disabling the settings for Data Execution Prevention for windows explorer after which the problem was resolved. May this solution also work for you try to disable it again with proper steps mentioned after which your problem will get resolved.

You can try the mention solution to resolve your computer problem with Data Execution Prevention in windows which you are facing while visiting directories which have video files. The solution you can go for is just right click on the folder you want to open, select "properties" and move to "general" tab present there and click on the "Advanced..." button. After which De-select "For Fast Searching and Allow Indexing Service to Index This Folder". This might help you to fix the issue.

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a set of hardware and software technologies that used to perform additional checks on memory to help prevent malicious code from running on your system. In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, Data Execution Prevention is enforced by hardware and by software.The basic benefit that is provided by Data Execution Prevention is that it prevent code execution from data pages. Typically, code is not executed from the default heap and the stack. Hardware-enforced Data Execution Prevention detects code that is running from these locations and raises an exception when execution occurs. Software-enforced DEP can help prevent malicious code from taking advantage of exception-handling mechanisms in Windows. You can also disable your data execution prevention after which you can resolve your problem.

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) helps your computer to tackle from the damage which can be done by viruses and other threats that attack your machine on running (executing) malicious code and virus from memory locations that only Windows and other programs should use. So it should be enabled in order to protect your machine from such virus threats. You can check if you are able to disable the DEP bios in your system because many of the companies provide with such option in computer system. This might help you to get the solution for your problem which you are facing by Data Execution Prevention.