Thread: How can we determine which application meets Java or DotNET eligibility criteria

How can we determine which application meets Java or DotNET eligibility criteria

What is the eligibility criteria for an application to the Java EE platform or DotNET? I want a list of the criteria to say that an application would be eligible for the platform of DotNet and not Java, and vice versa. If you know the criteria (discriminating enough), I'm interested. Which is portable according to you? I want to make a project and I am not able to decide on which platform I should create.

Re: How can we determine which application meets Java or DotNET eligibility criteria

For my part, it seems .Net is the choice of companies and/or applications of medium and small sizes. It is apparently easier to use than J2EE, because encoding is faster. DotNet is more efficient overall in moderate trading volumes. On the other hand, large corporations, particularly banks, seems to make its choice on J2EE for mass applications. This requires expertise quite sharp and entire teams to be used to its full potential. J2EE is the amalgam of a multitude of standard Java (EJB, Servlets + JSP, SOAP, WSDL, JAAS, JTA, JDBC, RMI / CORBA, etc.) that may be slow to learn and master. It is therefore necessary to combine the expertise of several people to aim at some omniscient workers to work. The distribution of development teams also made use of the J2EE specification, I believe. From personal experience I can say that when teams are poorly trained to begin with, it can be found easily with a flawed architecture, it can be long and expensive to correct later. J2EE is not the ideal choice when you're the type to "learn by doing". Ideally, from the outset, the architects should be familiar with a minimum Sun BluePrint. J2EE is not just a coding standard, but a way of doing things.

Re: How can we determine which application meets Java or DotNET eligibility criteria

Thank you for your answer. In fact, as part of my internship, I must determine a table describing the criteria that guide applications to J2EE or DotNet techno. If I summarize, aside from portability, ease of learning .Net rather medium-sized project (what is an average size) and instead head for applications? It makes little difference if I understand correctly.

If there is not much difference, mostly because they are two competing products, it attempts to encroach on each the same market and thus, inevitably, the selection criteria are similar to each side. As for the comment on "learning by doing", I'm not quite agree. Logic and common sense of the analyst play a good hand. If the analyst/architect starts without first taking a minimum of brands, whatever the language, that will be a problem very quickly. It is true that strength to grow and grow, an application problem and we become aware of errors in choice of technology or architecture, but this does not mean that with a good knowledge of the framework we have made different choices at the outset. Take into account too many needs for future development in the beginning, it is also the risk of derailing the project as "too slow to develop, nothing came while that is already three months that 4 people are over". And personally, I like Java, is the amount of open source libraries available to save time.

For example, we have 1.5 million users, with 1200-1600 users connected simultaneously making requests with an average of 64 transactions per second during peak hours, distributed over four bodies at the moment. We may reach 700/800 users simultaneously per instance. And we are about to complete a migration code, which means that we must increase the number of instances shortly. Personally, I would not trust this application to .Net/Windows. Perhaps this platform is it able to handle this volume of business, but Windows has a reputation for frequently freeze as Internet server at high volume. When to quantify precisely what constitutes "high volume" for me, I have no official figures, which would be interesting to have. But I think a small to medium volume: system for buyers, commercial sites for shops, operational systems for the company, etc.. This is where I saw coders .Net work the most. But I would still be interested in other opinions on the subject, since my views are based on my personal experience.

Of course, I just said that starting an application, there is no need to master all frameworks available. EJBs are certainly complicated apprehension, especially before version 3, but all apps do not need, and are able to know what EJB is quite enough to know if we'll use them or not. Afterwards, when we decide to use them, it is essential to do it properly on bin, and therefore have the knowledge associated site. I have not said it improvised And small to medium applications may well be content with basic functionality.