Thread: What is PERL and what are its uses?

What is PERL and what are its uses?

My cousin are suggesting me to do the perl language, which may count more while searching for jobs. Now I am not having any idea about it. Even I am not sure that I will go for it. I am having basic knowledge about the C++ and Java. So I thought atleast I would take some notes about the perl. So thought that you guys would be very useful for this topic. Also please suggest me that whether I should go for this programming language?! Any other information regarding the topic would be more grateful.!!

Re: What is PERL and what are its uses?

Perl is a language mainly aimed at dealing with strings and text files, especially in procedures CGI. This language is recommended for those that use CGI for the automation of certain procedures or want to create their own. The purpose of this document is to explain the basics of programming in PERL. We will try to do it for the outline and to focus on "ideas" rather than on the details, comparing them when possible to the C language and shell scripting. The ultimate goal of this document is to enable you to read, understand, modify the script in perl, and, eventually, to write your own.

I would like to suggest you that it would be really better if you complete some certification in this programming language. Do not assume that you are a programmer, but there will certainly be explained is a file or a pipe, a minimum knowledge of the UNIX world is necessary to be able to program. In fact, the Perl language is perfectly in keeping with the UNIX system, even if today they were made of the number porting to other platforms (Windows 9x/NT, OS / 2, MS-DOS, etc ...) the most natural environment for develop and execute Perl scripts on UNIX is where you can integrate and interact with the numerous scripts in the system tools (sed, awk, grep, mail, etc..) and get the most out of language.

Perl is often called "scripting language", unlike programming languages, because it was not originally designed for large jobs, but for the automation of certain tasks. Over the years, Perl has become increasingly powerful and has been used for larger and larger projects, although not born for this. Perl ("Practical Extraction and Report Language") Is a language mainly aimed at dealing with strings and text files. What Perl is very natural to do is to search for sequences of characters within strings (pattern matching), replacements of substrings (substitution pattern), operations on text files structured in fields and records or unstructured.

Is a language mainly aimed at dealing with strings and text files. What Perl is very natural to do is to search for sequences of characters within strings (pattern matching), replacements of substrings (substitution pattern), operations on text files structured in fields and records or unstructured.
    For these reasons, Perl is used heavily in the writing of procedures CGI installed on a web server, or to develop procedures for the maintenance of the assets of a server. For the same reasons, Perl is not suited to develop procedures instead of pure scientific computing or other programs that require high speed and accuracy in carrying out complex calculations or numerical calculations.

Certainly, then, Perl is almost a necessity for those who need to manage a website that is not just text and images: with this language, is it possible to automate some useful operations, from the simplest (request for an e-mail) to more complex (such as user registration data, etc...) To those not you ever come across a site for which you were required to enter our e-mail to subscribe to a mailing-list, or to see some pages in something like "Visitor numbers nnnnnnn", or even fill out registration forms or recording? No credit!!

Well, underneath all this there are lines and lines of Perl (in most cases!) That process what the user typed and returning it to the webmaster in an intelligible form, or better (especially records and signatures, in which there are several fields to fill: name, surname and so on) formatted in different areas (as a kind of database) or, at best, doing everything himself: take for example a user who wants to have a free web space and must register : will be faced with several questions to answer, and eventually will have to press "send" and pass the grits to the webmaster, who will then confirm your membership. Who has done this at least once, you will definitely realize that a confirmation of my membership comes soon (this is called a few minutes at most!).

mickelhussy Guest

Perl is often called "scripting language", unlike programming languages, because it was not originally designed for large jobs, but for the automation of certain tasks. Over the years, Perl has become increasingly powerful and has been used for larger and larger projects, although not born for this. Perl is used heavily in the writing of procedures CGI installed on a web server, or to develop procedures for the maintenance of the assets of a server.

Well, underneath all this there are lines and lines of Perl (in most cases!) That process what the user typed and returning it to the webmaster in an intelligible form, or better (especially records and signatures, in which there are several fields to fill: name, surname and so on) formatted in different areas (as a kind of database) or, at best, doing everything himself: take for example a user who wants to have a free web space and must register : will be faced with several questions to answer, and eventually will have to press "send" and pass the grits to the webmaster, who will then confirm your membership. Who has done this at least once, you will definitely realize that a confirmation of my membership comes soon (this is called a few minutes at most!)
    Well, this is not the webmaster who works at the speed of light, but a complex script that receives the information and choices of the user, giving it a username and password, setting up a directory on the server ready to receive the user's files which also will be protected against others who wanted to change it etc.. and finally, bother to send an email (which is usually a model in which data is entered the user) to warn the user that the operation was carried out successfully! And do not forget that the same script control that the user's choices are meaningful: for example, checking that the e-mail address is valid (in the sense that it is in the form user @ domain and not user_domain, for example).

Well, Perl is definitely a gold mine for the webmaster who has certain needs, and learn about the basics is useful to start writing their own scripts to automate (but not only, you can write real programs) and then implement them on your own server, local or not to be.

The Perl code does not compile ever-machine code, like C compilers: every time you run a perl script, this is interpreted on the fly. There are 2 versions of perl: Perl 4 and its successor, PERL 5. This is in principle compatible with the perl4, and also has additional features.