Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 23-08-2010

Unix path for an executable

Hello,
I encountered a problem and I can not solve it (especially as a portable solution would be appreciated). I wants to know the absolute path of the executable being (hint written in C on Unix). I arrive without problem getting the directory work, the name on the command line, find this {|@|^ \ @ | path of the executable? Any more discussion on this topic is appreciated.
Old 23-08-2010

Re: Unix path for an executable

Hey,
There is no portable method, and sometimes the information is not even available. He must also see that someone can load your code without calling exec (2), so the path the executable does not necessarily make sense. You can use argv [0] $ PATH and browse and if argv [0] does not contain "/". It will work in most cases. Under Linux, readlink ("/ proc / self / exe");
Old 23-08-2010

It will not work for me (the test must also be able running on OpenVMS), or it will have to write a routine by system or type of systems. That's true, but it is something that only works on Linux. I will play with it for some more time and then post back with the difficulty I am facing.
Old 23-08-2010

And even if the information is available, it may not have any sense. For example, if the executable has been removed from its location. It is a pretty common case where a machine makes updates. I guess I am correct here. Thank you.
Old 23-08-2010

I have no idea on linux based operating systems but the equivalent on Solaris is as follows :
Code:
sprintf (path, "/ proc /% d / path / a.out", getpid ());
readlink (path, buf, size);
Old 23-08-2010

Knowing that I seek in this application that the executable, I am not sure whether this executable is still on the disk) I am looking for a way of saying that if my executable / a / b / c / executable, it should launch a preprocessor that is / a / b / c / preprocessor (not not trusting the PATH), is it possible to imagine a piece of code to retrieve the path. For now, I coded the thing hard with an option in the configure script, but it pleases me that medium. I can not use the PATH variable as it can find Official _before_ preprocessor preprocessor and causes a hole security.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , , ,