Thread: Difference between Integrity and Consistency in Database

Difference between Integrity and Consistency in Database

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have recently started learning with the integrity and consistency in Database. Actually I know very little about the database, so thought to take some ideas from you guys. I am having the problem in understanding the integrity and consistency that we use in database. Our professor said there is a difference between the two concepts but I think I have read that both are the same. So if so can someone tell me what the difference is between two terms?

Re: Difference between Integrity and Consistency in Database

hi,
    Referential integrity (that you probably think) here means in practice that it is a key of a table B to a value b is no record of even though in the value of b in A foreign key exists as a table. This leads to a sense that the consistency is no longer guaranteed. The consistency can also be destroyed if an anomaly (eg change anomaly occurs). Consistency is a much more general term I'd say, inconsistency is just the result of problems such as referential integrity. Hope that my post helped you (little bit).

Consistency is one of four in database transactions required ACID properties . transactions must be of a consistent transfer to another consistent state databases. During the processing of the request, the consistency of the database very well be injured, however. To the consistency of the database to preserve, are integrity constraints set, the database system to monitor are on. A condition in which a constraint is violated at least, is regarded as not consistent, and the entire transaction is settle back so that the previous state is restored.

When inserting, deleting or changing data in a database management system (DBMS) data for integrity conditions tested. This ensures that there is accurate and not contradictory data. Some examples (for a relational database system ):
    • It may not have duplicate primary key result
    • Records to the database schema and the corresponding domains correspond
    • Foreign key must be present or have the value zero (Referential Integrity)

Furthermore, at least the first normal form must be met. There are different levels of consistency: in a lot of information is a formal language, a model created by means of (model consistency as the degree to which the model corresponds to the specific information available). Due to the normalization is created from a schema (schema consistency is consistency of newly added data for sure). Finally, by business logic, the semantic consistency assured (also for additional data). This ensures that newly added data consistent in terms of reality.

krishriaz Guest

When a transaction is taking place on a database item then access to it should not be allowed to other users during that transaction is called consistency in database while integrity is when the data in the database is complete and consistent both at its creation and at all times during use. So integrity
    and consistency are a must for each other as data integrity ensures data consistency and vice versa.