Thread: JSF versus Struts

JSF versus Struts

I am just doing some researching about JSF and Struts and they seems identical.And it assumes as the designer of JSF just took Struts and configured the adjustment of wording mechanism. What I mean is:

struts-config.xml became faces-config.xml
    ActionMappings and Actions became NavigationCases and NavigationRules
    FormBeans became ManagedBeans
    MessageResources became MessageBundle
    ActionServlet became FacesServlet (in web.xml)
    Both have validators and converters.
    So am I just missing out little bit ? One more thing , are there any performance benchmarks which JSF/Struts helps with the response times?

Re: JSF versus Struts

Yeah , you are just missing out some very necessary things in this case like : FormBeans are FormBeans, ManagedBeans are ordinary JavaBeans.Plus, you lost the User Interface Components, UIForms, UICommands, UIGraphic, UIInput, UIOutput,UIMessage, UIMessages, UISelectOne, UIPanel, UIColumn, UIData, UISelectItems, UISelectItem, form, commandButton, commandLink,graphicImage, inputText, inputSecret, inputHidden, inputTextArea, outputText, outputLabel, outputFormat, message, selectBooleanCheckbox, selectManyCheckboxList,selectManyMenu, selectManyListbox, selectOneRadio, selectOneMenu,panelGrid, panelGroup, dataTable, column, selectItems, selectItem, renderers,ActionEvent, Action, ValueChangeEvent, and bindings.

According to me ,you require to go for much more research ..

Thanks for the replies about the UI elements , I think , I don't get. What is the benefits over working with the JSF UI component upon the corresponding HTML tag when the JSF and Struts compatible server side navigation via the struts/faces-config file?It looks as working with a JSF UI component over a HTML element is just associating different layer and evaluating in a slower experience for the user, am I still not receiving this ? Is the only benefits is the ability to indicate the renderer? And if it is like that, would someone here actually take the time to generate their own renderers versus working with the default?

Hi Daksha, I know little bit about the programming in the same section and when I got this thread then I remember my previous problem that was same as you are stating about .. I spent near about couple weeks trying out jsf. I got the jsf framework a little simpler and more direct to work in comparison to the struts action-jsp-formbean-strutsconfig.

I don't want to go for the jsf tags at all. Specifically , I don't need the datatable tag. It's a lot more complex to work with than the regular struts iterate tag. The struts iterate tag, or the JSTL same as provide me the easy and reliable control of how I would be the structure and format of an html table. Indexed features and single option radio buttons were no issues at all. When I used to perform that what we have been performing within the struts for ages (implementing jsf)..