Thread: Problem in installing StarOffice

Problem in installing StarOffice

I tried to install StarOffice, I downloaded the version for linux, but when you start the installation process the rpm packages does the following :

Log file: / var/opt/sun/install/logs/StarOffice_install.B09211054
    Installed: / opt/staroffice8/uninstall_StarOffice.class
    Uninstaller is at: / opt/staroffice8/uninstall_StarOffice.class

Installing Base module

Installing RPM: staroffice-core01

Error: RPM failed staroffice-core01 install).
    Install complete. Package: staroffice-core01
    I have searched on an Internet but didn't find any appropriate solutions for this problem. So thought that you guys must be knowing how to fix this.?! Please help me soon.

Re: Problem in installing StarOffice

I think that you must check the system requirements before you install the StarOffice. The following are some system requirements of it:
    • Linux Kernel version 2.4 or higher
    • glibc2 version 2.3.2 or higher
    • gtk version 2.2.0 or higher
    • Pentium compatible PC (Pentium III or Athlon recommended)
    • 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)
    • 440 MB (multi-language version: 730 MB) available hard disk space
    • X Server with 1024x768 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at least 256 colors
    • Window Manager
    • Gnome 2.6 or higher, with the gail 1.8.6 and the at-spi 1.7 packages, required for support of assistive technology tools (AT tools)

I was having the similar problem which was fixed later (luckily ). For that all I have to do is, I needed to install rpm package manager and lib's. Later then it was installed properly and I was able to work on it flawlessly. I think that if you do the same, then you should able to resolve your problem also. Also I would like to say that if that is not working then uninstall the whole application and then reinstall it.

However we are lovers of free software, we must admit that the change from Linux to Windows is not as simple as formatting a pc install any linux distribution that does not stop there, what about business applications, multimedia and office or our current hardware we are used? Will all on Linux, the answer is no, that's why you must first change the applications and then the OS.

For example, MS-Office is an office suite that we have been using for a long time, but in reality most we use only 20% of all their functions, besides most people use only the programs Word, Excel and Power point then from here you can start migrating to another as StarOffice 8 suite that includes Writer, Calc, Draw , Impress and Base and are software compatible with MS Office formats, and in turn compatible with Windows, Linux and Solaris, StarOffice is the commercial version of OpenOffice.org, so to speak but with some advantages as it includes more refined technology if you use licenses such as a filter to open Word Perfect files, database software, spell check and templates.

Although a commercial version, students, colleges and universities, faculty can download for free the site StarOffice 8 Sun Microsystems, in fact I've been using it since version 6 (2002) without spending a penny for business, it is best to use software that has some support as installing an application on the machines on the network without any support except that of certain forums such as OpenOffice.org (recommended for more fans to completely free software) not recommended, in the case of StarOffice 8, the license costs 70 to $ 80 (compared with more than $ 350 MS Office) and the price decreases as the number of posts increases and you get support for up to three incidents over the first 60 days.

The only reason why I think that a company could be tied to MS Office is Access, which is a database system extremely versatile and easy to use but in this case the company could acquire a license Office for the Developer and proceed to install the runtime on the other machines without incurring the crime of having pirated software on their PC, so step by step a person or company may be migrating to other applications either free or low cost if you work in linux and then take the final step, change the OS, as the last comment I want to remind you that free software is not really free, need financial support in some way in this world there is nothing that does not move without money and these people have families to feed, therefore we must not believe that free software is free, if it is something that can be used more freely.

One month after release of the suite OpenOffice 3.0, Sun Microsystems has prepared the version of StarOffice. The office suite for Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris and Windows consists of Base (database access), Calc (spreadsheet), Draw (vector graphics), Impress (presentation) and Writer (word processor). The characteristics of the components of the wide range do not differ effective community counterparts.

One difference between OpenOffice and StarOffice is the support program. The Standard and D eLux Editions are designed primarily for private use or Sun offered by Avanquest, where users receive free support in the first two months after registration. For the Enterprise Edition, aimed at professional users, Sun has developed a multilevel support. You will get more information on http://www.sun.com/software/staroffice/get.jsp.