Thread: J2EE vs Ruby on rails

J2EE vs Ruby on rails

Hello,
    I am a C programmer, now I am thinking to learn a new language such as java or many be ruby on rails. But the problem is that I am confused that which is the better language in these, java or the ruby on rails. What exactly are the differences between both the languages. Any more discussion on this topic is appreciated. Thank you.

Re: J2EE vs Ruby on rails

Using Java as a Web development language offers little opportunity especially with the new MVC frameworks like JSF, Tapestry, Spring MVC. But the problem is still there, it must be agglomerated basket libraries for an application. And these libraries are not necessarily compatible with each other in the case of cross-addictions.

Typically a Web2.0 application developed in Java, you must:

- An MVC framework: JSF, Struts, Tapestry, Spring MVC ..
    - A framework Ajax Ajax4jsf, DWR, GWT ...
    - A library of data persistence: Hibernate, EJB3.
    - Spring for all gluer.
    - The libraries depend on these libraries.

To develop an application that contains three Web pages, there is a 30 libraries (jars). In the end it works, but it requires highly specialized skills to get a robust application and maintainable over time. Not to mention the problematic configuration server application implemented.

For Ajax, it also include the javascript library "prototype" in the site, but also no line js to write, the "helpers" of doing everything cakephp. In reality, CakePHP is a port of RoR for PHP , so I advice you also, and keeps consistency in a park info.

For applications of middle class, I would say "RoR" because it is super top. But for a large-scale application in need of real stability and standardization "enterprise", bin J2EE. Because I do not think RoR has the rigor and power of Java. RoR is certainly better placed than J2EE for certain application type 3-Tier, but with all beyond what can be seen in clusters. RoR is still too much work.

Do not compare what is comparable, Java is certainly the most powerful tool for developing Web applications, Java is a multitude of frameworks, libraries, opportunity is interoperable with everything, there same layer and JRuby JPython in web technologies, Java is the language very fast, plus it is built in memory in application servers, they can handle multiple levels of cache, data persistence, connection pools, etc. .. java so want the best care, my own tests showed me that for a single web page with access to databases as a test type. Glassfish or Tomcat server can easily handle 500 requests per second, there or apache / php manages to painfully. Also java rapidly evolving in the right direction, supported by industry heavyweights IBM, SUN, Oracle, etc.

It seems that major changes are rather related to the introduction of new concepts to calendar constraints. For example for the appearance of said procedural languages (including C) and Object Oriented languages (C + +, Java). As a result I think it's the use to which the success of a language or another. C was probably promoted by the fact of its use for the Unix kernel. Has followed the success of C + +. By following the portability of Java, which probably allows him to override the C + + (although you can also argue that Java is probably more "clean"). Finally (and for the sake of brevity) Ruby. So then I ask myself: what are the new concepts introduced by Ruby.

You will notice that Ruby has not caught on in business. I think it's for one simple reason, Ruby does almost nothing compared to Java. The only notable difference is that the variables are not typed in Ruby. I personally think it is a minus for Ruby. As to the difference between Ruby and Python, it is nonexistent. In short, do not waste your time with Ruby, do PHP, Python or Java.

You will notice that Ruby has not caught on in business. I think it's for one simple reason, Ruby does almost nothing compared to Java. The only notable difference is that the variables are not typed in Ruby. I personally think it is a minus for Ruby. As to the difference between Ruby and Python, it is nonexistent. In short, do not waste your time with Ruby, do PHP, Python or Java.