Thread: Does JDK 7 make code that works on JRE6

Does JDK 7 make code that works on JRE6

In the FILE I/O documentation trail, it described that the documentation has been updated to be consistent with the JDK 7 classes. This also has suggests on the frequents method to done the update of your legacy code with the latest utility kit. And it even describes some methods to use a technique known as .toPath which will allow you to "take advantage of the java.nio.file.Path functionality" using (presumably) JDK6 classes. I wanted to ask something :

1. Does this indicate that if I perform the downloading and installation of current snapshot of JDK 7, then the programs that I would compile with this will work with anyone with the help of JRE6?

2. If "no" then do you have any idea how someone run and debug code using the new classes?

3. Why does JDK6' edition of the the java.io.File class has the aforementioned toPath functionality (through the toPath method), if the entire Path stuff is new for the JDK 7? Or was entire functionality are available in the JDK but known as something else?

4. I am working with NetBeans....do I require special javadocs files for the new file I/O classes (java.nio.file and java.nio.file.components )?

Re: Does JDK 7 make code that works on JRE6

1. I would say not . These programs would not run with JRE6. These programs have the compatibility to go with the JDK 7;there are some of them can also run with the OpenJDK..

2. One can be able to run and debug with JDK 7; also some code may execute it and debug with OpenJDK.

3. The JDK6' version of the the java.io.File doesn't contain the toPath method.

4. As far as you go with JDK 6 - you don't have any JDK7-particular API features at all and in particular you don't require any special javadoc files for this ..

I am trying to reconcile what you stated with what is printed in the tutorial. Let me find out if you considering that I have this straight. The recent tutorial is built near about JDK7 classes as well as java.nio.. These classes involves the new "PATH" functionality and the Attribute functionality.

One more thing that the java.io. classes will be reconfigured in JDK 7 to include the new "toPath" statements. Finally, you are unable to actually use any of this functionality in required programs until JRE7 is around to support this.

In the Java environment , deprecated components never got actually deleted. This is possible that may change someday, but even then, the deprecated components would not be deleted in the next release.

What I need to know is why they are changing the tutorials to cover classes and associated functions which haven't even been released yet? They did that in the run-up to JDK 6, also and it just got confused the hell out of people.