Thread: Configuring JDK & JRE for Vista

Configuring JDK & JRE for Vista

I am unable to get any information on how to perform this. I have one of the book with the tutorial in which only instructions is listed there for earlier versions of windows. I have also tried to go for the official documentation and all but nothing got helpful for me. I didn't got any guidelines for windows vista on any of the official links. I required to configure up the JDK initially. Any help would be appreciated .. Please

Re: Configuring JDK & JRE for Vista

Hi guys ! I am also having the closest problem with this as stated above .I am running with both JDK and JRE , I have downloaded earlier. Whenever I try to compile the program , I move to the command prompt , opened up my java code file that has my program file , by typing , CD C:/JAVA CODE. Then after, on the java code prompt I typed up as : JAVAC SALUTON.JAVA. The command replied me with the following message as : " 'JAVAC' IS NOT RECOGNIZED AS AN INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL COMMAND, OPERABLE PROGRAM OR BATCH FILE."

Would you help me, how to resolve this issue ?

You should just use this one code and I am sure, it can be helpful for you. Just give it a try and compile it first :

Code:
    import java.awt.*;
    import java.awt.event.*;

public class Tryit {
        public static void main(String[] args) {
            Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().setLockingKeyState(KeyEvent.VK_CAPS_LOCK, false);
        }
    }

1) Just be sure that you have the jdk. I know, you told that you have already downloaded this but at the very least you don't seem to know where it is located in your hard storage .So, launch the windows explorer and find out the file javac.exe. If you are getting this , note the directory it is in, proceed with the step 2

In case, if not found then follow the below suggested :
    a) Go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
    b) put on vision correction device
    c) search out the guideline attached on that page
    d) go through the instructions suggested there.
    c) Move to step 1

2)
    a) Open up the command prompt
    b) Move to the directory having *.JAVA
    c) Run the javac by fully qualifying it with the directory that it found within step 1 which would be something as C:\Program Files\java\jdk1.6.0_04\javac.exe *.JAVA (* - suggest your file name)

The bit that is complex to find within the installation guidelines is the configuration of the PATH variable ( they refer to Windows 2000 -really up to date ! ) within the Vista environment

• Just find out the appropriate and complete location of the jdk1.6.0_<version>\bin directory
    • Right click on the “My Computer” icon
    • Select “Properties” from context menu
    • Click on the “Advanced system settings”
    • From the Edit window,just reconfigure the PATH by associating the directory to the location at the end (after a ; )

After doing this all , you should be able to write javac in a Command window without having to write at C:\---directory--\javac.exe

I am having some issues when I wanted to run a program from my command prompt and I am sure about my coding that I have written in the file Whenever I try to execute the program, the error message displayed every time as "Javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."?

This is the message which I could get when I try to compile a java program in windows command prompt. what is the actual isue ?

Would you tell me, have you configured your pathname and class name properly ?

1. Just move to your java's bin directory.
    2. Copy its location (i.e. this may look as C:\jdk1.3\bin or if you are running with a special directory myjava in your bin then it may seems as C:\jdk1.3\bin\myjava)
    3. Move to command prompt through the run from start menu(there it may be specified as C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>\
    4. Issue the enter key.it will be replaced with the C:\, type cd paste your location and press enter. Now, your path has been configured there(temporary configuration)
    5. Now, you can compile it properly.

Another one is any program which you are trying to run then be sure that it should be saved within the bin folder of your java and also it is saved as as java file that should not be a text file .