Thread: What does CVS mean in programming?

What does CVS mean in programming?

Hello friend,

I need you help to sort out one my confusion related to the CVS. I am not getting the exact meaning CVS. I also don't have any idea about it's functionality. I have referred various books for this concept but nothing was helpful. I wonder if you let me know something about the CVS concept. I would really appreciate your any help over this CVS issue.

Re: What does CVS mean in programming?

CVS is nothing but 'Concurrent Versions System' . It is a version control Client-server to several people to work simultaneously on the same set of files. Large development projects are usually based this type of system to allow many developers to work on the same project. CVS allows, as its name suggests, manage concurrency, that is to say it is capable of detecting version conflicts when two people work simultaneously on the same file.

The operation of CVS is based on a centralized database called repository" hosted on a server, containing the history of all versions of each file. The repository stores the differences between versions, dates of updating, the name of the author of the update and review prospective This allows a real change tracking, while optimizing storage space dedicated to the project.

Using a CVS client, each user wishing to work on the project (to modify files or just to see the last version of the files in the database) retrieves a working copy with an operation called checkout. When the user has finished editing the file, it can send the changes to the database. This is called commit. As many developers can work simultaneously on a copy the repository and submit their changes.

If it happens that a user tries to transmit its changes while another user has itself changed this file previously, CVS will detect a conflict. If the changes relate to different parts of file, CVS can offer a fusion of the changes through a process called diff. Otherwise CVS will ask the user to manually merge the changes. It should be noted that mergers may apply only text files. However, CVS can handle binary files in its database, but it has not been provided for this purpose.

The changes made by other users are not automatically reflected by CVS on the local copy, it is therefore necessary, before each modified file, to update his working copy with an operation called " update"To limit the risk of conflict. When the user has completed its work and sent it to the CVS server all changes, he can if he wants to empty its working directory with the operation dubbed " release. CVS was originally scheduled to run from the command line.