Thread: Confused about Component Object Model

Confused about Component Object Model

Hello Guys,

I am new to the programming field. There is one concept which is still uncleared for me, and it is 'Component Object Model'. I am not able to understand the basic concepts of the Component Object Model. I have gone through lots of websites for this concept, but nothing was helpful. If you posses sound knowledge about the Component Object Model, then please let me know that.

Re: Confused about Component Object Model

Component Object Model is a technique of software components (such as DLL) Created by Microsoft. COM is used in programming to allow dialogue between programs. Although it has been implemented on many platforms, it is still predominantly used on Microsoft Windows. In early 1996, Microsoft renamed OLE parts on Internet, ActiveX, And slowly all parts of OLE passed under the sign ActiveX exception made components made for compound documents and used for example by Microsoft Office.

The Component Object Model is predecessor of Object Linking and Embedding (OLE), It is about to be replaced in 2009 by . NET Framework Microsoft. In 1993, Microsoft released the OLE 2, and created the COM object as a model for OLE 2. While one had mainly OLE compound documents, OLE 2 was intended to address software components in general.

Component Object Model was a major opponent of CORBA(java technology). Supporters of these two techniques saw them one day become the model for the reuse of code and services Internet. But the difficulties to run them through Firewall and machines unknown and insecure, have meant that the HTTP requests combined with normal web browsers have supplanted.

A key factor in solving these problems is the use of DCE / RPC as the mechanism behind Component Object Model RPC. DCE / RPC has strictly defined rules about the serialization and accountability of the deallocation. Crumb distribution - ensuring that references customer interfaces are released when, for example, the client process Planted Or the network connection was lost.

In terms of added extensions to COM, DCOM must solve problems like Marshalling i.e a Serialization as well as de-serialization of the parameters along with class to return values of method through the network. Microsoft has, at one point tried and failed to mitigate by adding a layer of extra http transport to DCE / RPC. This was later recycled to support connections Exchange 2003 on HTTP to make it as consistent as possible with MSRPC.