Thread: Error - Illegal escape character

Error - Illegal escape character

Hello,
    I have the following statement to me is problematic:
    Code:
    public static String str = "\.foo ";
    The compilation error is on the "\." With "." which is an "illegal escape character". In fact as I know that. " is a metacharacter is that I wish it were considered a normal character, so I put the \ in front. Do you have a solution for this problem, if yes then please post back.

Re: Error - Illegal escape character

Hello,
    I think the foo is going very well in a normal string. It is when you use regular expressions you must add the escape characters. It should not be any problem to understand. "Foo". In the String base, Java does not understand \ n \ t etc.. when used as characters. If you need more help on special characters then you can visit the sun's official site and their you can find detailed information on the same.

Hello,
    What the above post says is quite correct, but I wanted to add a little precision that might be be useful to you:
    If you want to make a str.split () on the "." You should submit it like this: str.split ( "\ \.") Where it becomes twisted it to make a split on the character " '\", you have to spend four: str.split ( "\ \ \ \"). Hope this solution helps you and you will find a correct solution for the same.

Hello,
    The escape character is also giving me a problem. In fact, Java knows the string. "Foo" but what I would do is str.replaceAll (. "Foo", ""). In this case. "Foo" has been interpreted as an expression recursion.
    For example,
    if str = "t.toto" str.replaceAll (. "Foo", "") will give "t".
    But if
    str = "tt" I would absolutely not str.replaceAll (. "Foo", "") becomes "tt" too! So that's what happened. That's why I thought to use "\. Foo. But apparently the compiler does not "\." , why is it is so? Any idea about it.

Hello,
    We must double the \:
    Here is the code for it
    Code:
    str.replaceAll("\\. foo ", "");
    Why do I need to double / quadruple backslash character ( '\'). But the simplest is to use Pattern.quote () to protect all the chain:
    Here is the code for this
    Code:
    str.replaceAll(Pattern.quote(. foo "), "");
    How to replace a substring in postponing the replacement string? Now this is what is the challenging part in the code.

Hello,
    Thanks for the replies. In fact I have already tried "\ \." But as I said this string as a global variable that is used in several places, and it also broke the sudden I'm not going see below. In short, it was indeed the solution. I have used it successfully, thanks again for post a very good solution for the problem. Also if you have any alternative method then please do post back, I am the interested on here.