Thread: Java code to quit an application

Java code to quit an application

Hello,
    I created a small menu composed as follows:
    1. Create a list of integer (in a txt file)
    2. Add an integer
    3. Add up all these numbers
    4. Exit
    I know how I can do to quit the application by selecting option 4.
    Have you any idea about this? Thanks for the help

Re: Java code to quit an application

Hello,
    I think you should try the following code, if I am not wring then this should work.
    Code:
    System.exit(0);
    If it is a graphical interface with buttons, it is necessary that you put the System.exit (0) in the actionPerformed method in your ActionListener. Hope the information will help you.

Hello,
    The System.exit (0) is a classic and completely ends the JVM, by cons, a normal end of the program is instead leaving all the thread terminates normally. In console mode, you must have one main thread that is the one who started the hand, and you must also have a loop that asks for the menu, you must exit this loop and let go the main thread after execution, and ends without any exit(0). I guess you get the thing properly what i am trying to explain you here.

Hello,
    Even I was trying the same part of the code, but I have found a solution for this yet.
    I have also tried the following code
    Code:
    System.exit(0);
    and it works very well. Can I, by curiosity, you wonder why we put 0 in brackets?
    exit () is a function and I assume the 0 is there any argument? Otherwise, you can put the arguments? Thank you for your help.

Hello,
    No, 0 is an error code. By convention program returns 0 if everything goes well and 1 or more when an error has occurred which causes the program has ended. It is very useful when a program calls another to determine if the execution was properly placed (Solicitation when programming a lot in a batch / bash / etc .. but also in environmental graphics). In C / C + + is often defined in the constants or macros EXIT_SUCCESS (which corresponds to 0) and EXIT_FAILURE (which corresponds to 1). Strangely in Java he did nothing of the sort defined even if a program is ending properly sense returns 0.

Hello,
    I agree with the above post and would like to add a few words. For error codes themselves, if your program has, you can define them as you like but there is a list of POSIX code presets that are relatively standardized on most platforms for errors currents (not possible ' open a file, not possible to read a file, specify the file is actually a directory, socket error, etc. ...). It is also possible that there are error codes own a standard Windows or other OS but I do not know.