Thread: Application popup error when invoking .exe from ETL package

Application popup error when invoking .exe from ETL package

I have a Job with only one step. That step invoke an ETL package (in the same SQL server).
    The ETL gets and deletes some data from the database (again, same server), and then it has a Script Task, where I'm invoking a .exe file (a .NET 2005 console application).
    I'm doing something like this:

mobjProcess = New Process
    mobjProcess.StartInfo.Arguments = String.Format("{0} {1}", iBillingId.ToString(), tUsername)
    mobjProcess.StartInfo.FileName = tAppPath
    mobjProcess.StartInfo.CreateNoWindow = True
    mobjProcess.StartInfo.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden
    mobjProcess.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = False
    mobjProcess.StartInfo.RedirectStandardOutput = True
    mobjProcess.StartInfo.WorkingDirectory = Directory.GetParent(tAppPath).FullName
    mobjProcess.StartInfo.LoadUserProfile = True
    mobjProcess.StartInfo.UserName = tProcessUsername
    mobjProcess.StartInfo.Password = objSecureString
    mobjProcess.StartInfo.Domain = tProcessDomain
    mobjProcess.Start()
    tStdOut = mobjProcess.StandardOutput.ReadToEnd()
    mobjProcess.WaitForExit()

Now, the problem I'm having is that when I execute that Job from my application, the .exe is not being executed. Everything works fine until the ETL script task step, where I'm invoking the .exe. The jobs keeps running (never ends) and the following message is logged on the Event Log:

Application popup: MiConsoleApp.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

This was working just fine last month. There may be changes like hotfixes applied on the server. Also, the ETL was imported again (but the same working version as before). But all the code involved is the same as last month.

Any ideas on what could be causing this error?
    I also tryed to copy the .exe to another server and it works fine, so the problem must be with the invokation in that particular server...security issues?

I'm using 2005 SQL Server and .NET.

Thanx!!

Re: Application popup error when invoking .exe from ETL package

Cause:

This issue may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

* The local address table (LAT) file Msplat.txt is missing or corrupted.
    * The following folder has been moved or removed:
    \Program Files\Microsoft ISA Server\Clients
    * Incorrect access permissions have been assigned to the following folder:
    Program Files\Microsoft ISA Server\Clients

Solution:

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Verify that the Program Files\Microsoft ISA Server\Clients folder exists. ISA Server services requires this folder to run.
    2. Verify that the following security groups have Full Control permissions assigned for the Program Files\Microsoft ISA Server\Clients folder:
    Administrators
    SYSTEM
    3. Verify that the Msplat.txt file exists in the Clients folder. If this file is missing, copy it from another ISA Server computer.

ISA Server is not installed on that server
    What else could it be? Could it be something related with the firewall detecting the cmd popup windows when the console application is launched?
    Thanx!

For that I will recommend you to check the SQL Agent service and lies the permission for the same. Among the frequent requests for MS SQL Server DBA, recurrence is important to be able to view all scheduled tasks. The problem is that I wish to propose in my install so that we do not require manual itervention to make in order to remedy.

I was able to identify that the waiting is on the line:
    tStdOut = mobjProcess.StandardOutput.ReadToEnd() (after executing the line mobjProcess.Start()).
    The ReadToEnd() is executed and it get stucked there waiting for the answer...

I haven't being able to solve this yet
    Any new ideas?

I also tried to reproduce this problem in different environments without any luck, it seems to work just fine. What server configuration could be causing this Process.StandardOutput.ReadToEnd() never to end?

I also replace the .exe I'm invoking for a simple console application with only one line that log something (so I'm sure that the problem is the invocation and not the console app) and I'm still getting the same behaviour (the ETL doesn't execute anything after the ReadToEnd() line)

Thanx again!
    Regards
    Last edited by barbas; 31-08-2010 at 09:18 PM.

I had gone through some solution over CAS and found that there you might need to get the DTS package to call the c console app. On the other hand you will also need to determine what is the level of security you will need on the .net application. This is relatively important to find out. Then you enable the same via Microsoft .Net framework 2.0 Config Tool. This might help you out.

Thanx for the answer...

The DTS package is actually calling the console application...
    The level of security to execute the console application are minimal, but I assigned all the permissions to the user and to the folder on witch the .exe is hosted, just in case but it still doesn't work (it doesn't have the Special Permision assigned, but it shouldn't be necesary, read and write permissions should be enough).
    On the other hand, when I execute the same DTS package from Visual Studio it works just fine, and the console application is being called with the same user account (the only diference is that the DTS package is not called from the job)