Thread: Explain me about dbx in PHP!!

Explain me about dbx in PHP!!

Hi friends,
    I have started with the abstraction layers in PHP programming language. Since this is my first time to do it, I am not having enough knowledge about it. I want to know about the dbx that comes under the abstraction layers. So thought that you guys are clever enough to explain me about this.!! So please please explain me about dbx in PHP!! Help me as soon as possible.!!

Re: Explain me about dbx in PHP!!

The dbx module is an abstraction layer database (db 'X', where 'X' is a supported database). The dbx functions allow you to access all databases supported by using a simple call. The dbx functions themselves do not interface directly to the databases, but rather with the module that is used to support the database. This extension has been moved to the PECL repository and is no longer bundled with PHP as of PHP 5.1.0. Hope that you got the concept of the dbx in PHP.

To use a database with the dbx-module, the module must be linked or loaded into PHP, and how the database should be supported by the dbx module. Currently, the following databases are supported, but others should follow :
    • FrontBase
    • Microsoft SQL Server
    • MySQL
    • ODBC
    • PostgreSQL
    • Sybase-CT
    • Oracle (oci8)
    • SQLite

The dbx module is found in PHP's ext / dbx folder. The support-code is found in the same folder. To add support for module 'demo' the following steps must be taken :
    1. dbx.c the source file must be extended to recognize module 'demo' and switch to the 'demo' functions.
    2. dbx_demo.h the files and dbx_demo.c must be created and edited to produce the required response.
    3. add the files from step 2 to the project.

You need to have these functions compiled into PHP (configure option - enable-dbx and all databases that you want to use. For example, if you want to access MySQL from dbx, you must also configure PHP with - with-mysql = [DIR]. The behavior of these functions is affected by settings in php.ini. By using the dbx.colnames_case string, the column name can be returned as "unchanged" or "capital" or "tiny". This directive can be reconfigured by an option dbx_query ().

There are two types of resources used by the dbx module. The first is the object associated with connection to the database, the second is the result of a query. The following are the predefined constants of it :
    • DBX_MYSQL (integer)
    • DBX_ODBC (integer)
    • DBX_PGSQL (integer)
    • DBX_MSSQL (integer)
    • DBX_FBSQL (integer)
    • DBX_PERSISTENT (integer)
    • DBX_RESULT_INFO (integer)
    • DBX_RESULT_INDEX (integer)
    • DBX_RESULT_ASSOC (integer)
    "When they give you ruled paper, write the other way..." J.R.J.