Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2010

What are an Expressions in PHP?

Hello friends,
I have just started with the PHP programming language, and hence I don't know anything about it. I want to know about an expressions that are used in PHP. Before this I have used an expressions in C and C# programming language, but I want to use in PHP. So please explain me what are an Expressions in PHP? Hope that someone would help me soon.!!
Old 05-03-2010

Re: What are an Expressions in PHP?

Expressions are the most important part of PHP. In PHP, almost everything you write is an expression. The easiest way to define an expression is "anything that has value." The simplest forms of expressions are constants and variables. When you write "$ a = 7", you assign the value '7 'to the variable $ a. Obviously, '7 'is 7 or, in other words '7' is an expression with the value 7. In this case, '7' is an integer constant. Hope that you would have understood the use of an expression.
Old 05-03-2010

Slightly more complex examples for expressions are functions. For instance, consider the following function :
PHP Code:
<?php
function call ()
{
    return 
4;
}
?>
Assuming that you are familiar with the concept of functions, you'll agree that $ c = call() is equivalent to $ c = 4, and you are absolutely right. Functions are expressions with the value of their "return value". If call() returns 4, the value of the expression 'call()' is 4.
Old 05-03-2010

Usually functions do not just return a static value but compute something. The values in PHP do not have to be integers, as is often the case. PHP supports four scalar variable types: integer values (whole), the floating point numbers (float), strings (string) and Boolean (boolean). For example a scalar variable is a variable that you can not break into pieces, unlike arrays. PHP also supports two composite types: arrays and objects. Each of these types of variables may be affected or returned by a function.
Old 05-03-2010

The one good example of expression orientation is pre-increment and post-increment (and decrement). Users of PHP / FI 2 and those of many other languages are used to the notation of variable + + and variable -. These are increment and decrement. PHP / FI 2, the statement '$ a + +' has no value (that is to say that this is not an expression) and you can not use it. PHP adds the possibility to increment and decrement as is the case in the C language In PHP, like in C, there are two types of increment (pre-increment and post-increment). The two types of increment operator play the same role (that is, they increment the variable). The difference is the value of the increment operator. The operator pre-increment, which is written '$ variable + +' evaluates to the incremented value.
Old 05-03-2010

One type of expression is very common expression comparison. These expressions evaluate to 0 or 1, ie TRUE or FALSE, respectively. PHP supports the comparison operators> (greater than) => (greater than or equal), == (equal), <(less than), <= (smaller or equal). These expressions are used routinely in conditional statements, such as if statements. The last thing worth mentioning is the truth value of expressions. When you test a variable in a conditional loop example, this does not interest you to know the exact value of the expression. But you only want to know if the result means TRUE or FALSE The constants TRUE and FALSE (case insensitive) are the two possible values for a boolean. When necessary, an expression is automatically converted to boolean.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , , , ,