Thread: What is WebDAV and its Uses?

What is WebDAV and its Uses?

Hi friends,
    I don't know much about the WebDave. I have just told to take out an information about it. I thought that instead of searching it on the web, it will be better to ask you guys. So please tell me what is WebDAV and also please tell me what are the uses of it.!! Help me as soon as possible.!!

Re: What is WebDAV and its Uses?

WebDAV (Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning) is an extension of the HTTP/1.1 protocol. It allows to manage files on a remote server and includes as main function: writing, reading, listing and relocation of remote resources. As seen in the introduction, WebDAV is an extension of HTTP that implements additional methods, such as writing (OTR), copy (COPY), you will find below the list of the main HTTP methods possible by a WebDAV server. As http query responses contain a status consisting of a code and description.

The protocol offers advantages in several aspects :
    1. Compared to FTP, it is more secure; possible encapsulation in a secure channel HTTPS / SSL encryption, passwords, and Kerberos authentication.
    2. Compared to the Windows file system, the protocol can handle paths with more than 255 characters.
    3. Based on HTTP, it can use port numbers that avoids conventional reconfiguration of firewalls.

The status code informs the status of the request sent and can be tested to determine the cases as alternative connection failure, redirects, and others.

You will find below the list of the main HTTP methods possible by a WebDAV server :
    • OPTIONS - Defines the communication options
    • GET - Gets a resource
    • HEAD - Gets only the header information of a resource
    • DELETE - Deletes the remote file
    • PUT - Creates or updates a file
    • COPY - Copies a remote file to another destination server side

To do this in VBScript, uses the XMLHTTP ActiveX provided by Microsoft. It initiates a request via this class in "Microsoft.XMLHTTP" then create the query using the Open method. The request is sent to the server via the send method. in the case of a secure server for authentication, it informs the login and password that will be contained in the request sent. The GET request is transmitted to the server then returns a stream containing HTML links <a href="">
    Signatures reduce available bandwidth