Thread: How to write a SQL statement in Visual Basic?

How to write a SQL statement in Visual Basic?

Hi friends,
    I have done many programs in Visual Basic as well as I have created database by using the SQL. But I am not having much knowledge about the using SQL statement in VB. So thought that you guys can explain me about it. Please tell me how to write a SQL statement in Visual Basic.?? Any other information regarding the topic would be appreciable.!!
    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness.Henry David Thoreau

Re: How to write a SQL statement in Visual Basic?

Normally, we create our applications using visual tools, without worrying about the SQL code generated. So they can respond to different situations, we can, in Access, to configure. Most often this is to refer to form controls. But if the setting is not on a form, or if the request is the source of a recordset, or if the form control is empty, then you are stuck. In such cases, alternative to this technique is to change dynamically in Visual Basic, part of the SQL query, SQL statement or a SQL expression in order to make variable.

In Visual Basic we write, naturally, an SQL (or application) in a variable of type String. Many programmers only use data bound controls to access data. In a new project, references must be made to the ‘Microsoft DAO 3.51 Object Library (or later)’. This then gives you Database and Recordset objects to play with. The following is some code that defines variables for a Database and Recordset Object, so just have a look at that :
    Code:
    Dim PlayStation as Database
    Dim PlayGroup as Recordset
    Dim SQL as String

Many times you need to write the value of a criterion. The need most often in the setting of an SQL statement, for the WHERE clause. This clause consists of criteria, where we will put the values which may come from a form, a variable VB, or VB expression. The SQL is the text, it will have to convert text values that do not. In addition, there are certain conventions to be respected for that engine database to recognize the values written literally.It must, first, recognize that the sequence of characters represents a value and not a field name or keyword.

I want to tell you something about the numeric value. The numeric values must be written in U.S. format. The period (.) Is the decimal point and there is no separator for thousands. The integers are not concerned since there are no decimals. In Visual Basic it is necessary to convert numbers into text formatted. If you do not explicitly, Visual Basic will do for you. Also there are two constraints in writing values of type Date. They are written in U.S. date format and they are delimited (framed) by the pound character (#).