Thread: What is a PHP Filter?

What is a PHP Filter?

Hi friends,
    I have done some basic things in coding of PHP. You can say that I have used the PHP to some extent but I am not an expert in that.!! Last time your help was really grateful. So thought that this time also I should ask the doubt to you guys.!! Now I am stuck in the filters that are used in PHP. Please explain me what are PHP Filters.?? How they are used in PHP.? Expecting the same help as last time.!
    AMD Sempron 2800+ @ 2Ghz
    Asus A7V8X-LA
    120Gb Seagate barracuda 7200Rpm Ultra-ATA 100
    Elixir 512mb DDR Pc3200 (Soon 1Gb)
    Club 3D Radeon 9600 256Mb
    Lite-On Cd & Dvd writer combo
    IDE-Dvd drive
    400w Psu
    Windows Xp Pro Sp2
    Advent Wireless Mouse & Keyboard.

Re: What is a PHP Filter?

Generally we use the term filter if we want to validate or verify something. Similarly, a PHP filter is used to validate and filter data coming from insecure sources. If you want to do the testing, you can validate and filter user input or custom data which is an important part of any web application. For making the data easier and faster, the PHP filter extension is designed. If you are using the PHP filter core module, that will add the ability to include PHP code in posts. Users with the proper permission may include custom PHP code within a page of the site, through the PHP filter.
    3.2 (northwood)
    2gig ram
    ATI AIW X800xt 256mb
    Gigabyte GA-8knxp 875p Chipset
    Optiwrite 8X DVD Burner
    Win XP PRO Sp2 (Works Perfectly)
    2 SATA Raptor 74gig Raid 0
    2 7200 IDE 320gig HD

If you are not new to the programming language then you should know that almost all web applications depend on external input. By using filters you can be sure your application gets the correct input type. The thing that you should keep in mind is that, you should always filter all external data. You can say that input filtering is one of the most important application security issues. An external input is the input that comes from a user or another application.
    IF you hate me, please don't mention it. I know who hates me and who doesn't. You really do not have to make fun of people....

If you want to filter a variable in your coding, you would have to use one of the following filter functions :
    • filter_var() - This function is used to filters a single variable with a specified filter.
    • filter_var_array() - This function is useful for filtering several variables with the same or different filters.
    • filter_input - This function is used to get one input variable and filter it.
    • filter_input_array - By using this function you can get several input variables and filter them with the same or different filters.
    "When they give you ruled paper, write the other way..." J.R.J.

If you need to validate an integer using the filter_var() function, you can use the following code which explains the same thing :
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $int 
    234;

if(!
    filter_var($intFILTER_VALIDATE_INT))
      {
      echo(
    "Integer is not valid");
      }
    else
      {