Thread: Dynamic and static parameters in database

Dynamic and static parameters in database

Hello sir,

I am not so much familiar about the oracle database,I need to know about the parameters,what is the difference between the static and dynamic parameters in the oracle database.If I need to create a application and add these parameters and also can I create your own dynamic parameters or not.Please suggest me regarding this message.I will be thankful to you.

thanks .

Dynamic and static parameters in database

PARAMETERS IN THE DATABASE :

The parameters are plays a very important role in the database.It defines the structure of database.the parameters are stored in the database file named parameter files.

There are two types of files exist in the database,Pfile and SPFILE both are used to define the structure of database.The parameters handles the database activity.If both are in the conditions of loss then you need to recover the database.

Actually two files named parameter file and password files are not stored into the database.If it would be controlled by the database then the database can't be start because theses are the files which is responsible to start the database.

Dynamic parameters in database

Dynamic parameters in database

The dynamic parameters are used when the database is in running mode.It also change the database property but during instance start up or in the processing.

The dynamic parameters are issued with the ALTER statement and capable to change the mode and structure of the database.An example of the dynamic parameter is shown below which will change the structure and functioning of the database when the database is running means transaction is going on.

Code:
    SQL> ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVE LOG;
    This is an dynamic parameter which is will change the database status and functioning of database.The database would be changed from NOARCHIVELOG to ARCHIVELOG.

Static parameters in database

Static parameters in database:

The static parameters are issued when the database is in SHUT DOWN mode.The static parameters are issued with the file,named PFILE which contains some parameters and defines the current activity of the database.

to define the static parameter,you have to open the file and write the parameter according to your own way to define or change the structure of database.

The static parameter would be as follows:

Code:
    LOG_ARCHIVE_START=TRUE
    This parameter is define in the Pfile and capable to change the status of the database.This parameter will start the archiving process of database.

Issuing parameter for PFILE and SPFILEin database

The parameters are written into the pfile as a text and the changes affects after restarting the database.

But the SPFILE can not be change without issuing the dynamic parameter during run time of the database.There are so many parameters that can not be changed dynamically,we have to use the PFILE to make the chnages.In that situation,we perform the following this to make the changes in SPFILE using PFILE.

First,open the PFILE and write the changes as a static parameter and save the changes .Now enter the following command to reflect the chnage into SPFILE :

SQL> CREATE SPFILE FROM PFILE;

NOTE: The database should be in shut mode to make changes in the SPFILE otherwise,it can occur the error message.