Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 18-02-2010

How to Communicate with other Applets?

Hi Friends,
I have recently started with an Applets. I have done some basic things in the applets. Now I want to communicate with the other applets.!! I have read that we can communicate with the other applets. But I don't know how to communicate. So thought that someone would be interested in helping me. Please tell me how to Communicate with other Applets.?? Hope that you guys will help me soon.!!
Old 18-02-2010

Re: How to Communicate with other Applets?

An applet can communicate with other applets by using JavaScript functions in the parent web page. By receiving messages from one applet and invoking methods of other applets, the JavaScript functions enable communication between applets. The applets may communicate with other applets running in the same virtual machine. If you are trying to communicate the applets of the same class, then they can communicate via shared static variables. And if you are trying to communicate the applets are of different classes, then they will need a reference to the same class with static variables.
Old 18-02-2010

Yes, you can make an applet to communicate with an applet is another page. Usually it does not support this type of communication, since an AppletContext will be created for a single page.To enable communication with another applet, obtain a reference to an instance of the netscape.javascript.JSObject class. You will need to create the sender applet and the Sender applet uses an instance of the netscape.javascript.JSObject class to invoke a JavaScript function called sendMsgToIncrementCounter. The following is the sample of the same :
Code:
try {
    JSObject window = JSObject.getWindow(this);
    window.eval("sendMsgToIncrementCounter()");
} catch (JSException jse) {
}
Old 18-02-2010

I would like to add that for communication you will have to create Sender and Receiver Applet as well. For the receiver applet you will have to write the JavaScript function that will receive requests from one applet and invoke methods of another applet on the web page. The sendMsgToIncrementCounter JavaScript function invokes the Receiver applet's incrementCounter method. The following script explains the same :
Code:
<script>
    function sendMsgToIncrementCounter() {            
        receiver.incrementCounter();
    }
<script>
Gigabyte GA-8knxp 875p Chipset
Optiwrite 8X DVD Burner
Win XP PRO Sp2 (Works Perfectly)
2 SATA Raptor 74gig Raid 0
2 7200 IDE 320gig HD
Old 18-02-2010

For communicating the other applets you will also need to Deploy the applets on the web page. The following code shows the sender applet :
Code:
<script src="URL goes here"></script>
<script> 
    var attributes = { code:'Sender.class',
        archive:'demos/example/applet_SenderReceiver/applet_SenderReceiver.jar',  width:250, height:70} ;
    var parameters = {};
    deployJava.runApplet(attributes, parameters, '1.6');
</script>
And the following is a sample of the receiver applet :
Code:
<script> 
    var attributes = { id:'receiver', code:'Receiver.class',
        archive:'demos/example/applet_SenderReceiver/applet_SenderReceiver.jar',  width:250, height:70} ;
    var parameters = {};
    deployJava.runApplet(attributes, parameters, '1.6');
</script>

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , , , ,