Thread: Change or rename Perl processes

Change or rename Perl processes

I currently have some Perl executable that runs under Windows. I wish to rename those Perl processes that are underway in the Task Manager. All of my scripts are called perl.exe and so it is difficult to distinguish if there are 5 running at the same time. Do I need a library?

Re: Change or rename Perl processes

Your scripts are interpreted/compiled/executed by a single executable: perl.exe (or wperl.exe)

I may be wrong but for Windows, this is normal as it displays perl.exe executable program employing a process on your machine. So yes, if you run multiple scripts simultaneously, you'll have several times perl.exe in your task manager.

I do not see how you could change that because it seems that even compiling (this is a big word) your script by Perl2Exe, you'll still like perl.exe name to display!

In some systems, it would give you the entire command line used to start the process, and in some OSes, you could even modify $0 to modify in real time and within the process name displayed by "ps" or equivalent! But Windows... sorry, otherwise compile your scripts with Par:: Packer for example (it works, I checked), I do not see.

I think, you could also make it a shell embedded in an executable with a different name, and you could also make copies of perl.exe named differently...

To differentiate the different perl services started with perl.exe or wperl.exe, just make a copy and paste one of these executables in the bin directory of PERL and rename it again from .exe to thenameyouwant.exe. Then you run your .pl file in a DOS window with your new .exe

ex:

x:\perl\bin\copy of wperl.exe (copy of the original)
    x:\perl\bin\veriflan.exe (renamed)

And run pl with your x:\perl\bin\veriflan.exe x:\script\yourscript.pl in a DOS window.

And thus, in the taskmanager, you'll see veriflan.exe as a process and wperl.exe

Under most variants of Unix (including Linux), you will just have to change the value of $0:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use strict; 
    use warnings;
    $0 = "myprocess";
    <>;
    __END__