Thread: What are the disadvantages of XML?

What are the disadvantages of XML?

Hello Friends,

I need you help to solve my query which is related to the XML. In Xml we can create our own tag, and this is the main advantages of XML over HTML and DHTML. But I don't have any idea about its' disadvantages. And I want to be aware about it. I wonder if anyone of you provide some disadvantages of XML. I would really appreciate your ant help over this issue.

Re: What are the disadvantages of XML?

Hi,

The main disadvantage of XML is that it doesn't comprises adequate processing applications.The disadvantage manifest in this case is that the speed gain applies Only when research data in the order they are stored on disk. If you are looking for these data using a different view, as for example a list of customers and sales that concern, the performance will then probably worse than a base relational. Thus, storage of data in a native XML database for reasons performance is justified only when one views data predominates in the application.

The XML is very complicated as compare to dhtml and html. If you apply the XML application libraries to dedicated processor (XML). It really does not add additional development time, at least for trained teams. For small tasks, a parser line by line is sometimes easier. But if the data is destined to become more complex, exchange more broadly, it is best to choose XML from the start.

Hi friend,

Please refer following some disadvantages of XML:
    • In XML the node relationships of overlapping needs extra effort.
    • The syntax of XML is very large as well as redundant which is relative to the binary data representation.
    • In XML the namespaces are very problematic for use.
    • Redundancy of the XML indirectly affect over the efficiency of application.

Most native XML databases can only return data as XML, and this is one of issues of data storage in such basis. If your application requires the data which is in other data format, it must parse the returned XML before use the data. This is obviously a disadvantage to local applications using a XML native db instead of a relational db, as this induces overload that is not found, for example, in a ODBC application. This is not a problem with distributed applications using XML as data transport applications since these induce overload regardless of the base type used.