Thread: BLOB datatype in oracle database

BLOB datatype in oracle database

Hello guys,
    I am going to develop an application and need to store some pictures and file in my table.I Need to know about any data types regarding this case.Would you help me to construct this application with your valuable help. How would I implement it with my tables.

Thanks.

LOB datatype in oracle database

LOB datatype :

The LOB datatypes provide BLOB, CLOB, NCLOB, and BFILE which made enable you to store large blocks of data in your table such as text, graphic images, video clips, and sound in waveform and the size up to 4 GB.

The database provider(Oracle) always suggest to use the LOB datatype over LONG datatypes.you can perform select operation but not DML and DDL.A table can contain multiple columns of LOB datatypes where as LONG can be placed as single column for a table.

BLOB datatype in oracle database

BLOB datatypes :

The BLOB datatype can contain the unstructured binary data in the table. BLOBs is capable to store up to 4 gigabytes of binary data.

BLOBs involve with full functioning in transaction.you can change the value of BLOB using DBMS_LOB package, PL/SQL or the OCI(Oracle Call Interface).Although BLOB locators cannot span transactions or sessions.

CLOB and NCLOB datatype in oracle database

CLOB and NCLOB datatype :

The CLOB and NCLOB datatypes are capable to take up to 4 GB of character data in the database table.The behavior of CLOB and NCLOB datatypes are little bit different from each other.The CLOB datatypes stores character set data where as NCLOB datatypes are being used to store Unicode national character set data.

CLOBs and NCLOBs are always fully involve in transactions.The DBMS_LOB package, PL/SQL or the OCI is being used to made the changes in the CLOBs and NCLOB data columns.You can specify NCLOB parameters in a method for an object type but can't create the object.

BFILE datatype in oracle database

BFILE datatype :

The BFILE datatype is being used to store the unstructured binary data in operating-system level files which is out of the database.The column BFILE construct a pointer which indicates a pointer which points to an external file on the operating system level.

The column which is defined as BFILE are read only always and you can't modify them and they didn't involve in transactions.The Operating system is responsible for file integrity, security, and durability for BFILE.The database administrator has permission to manage the file from both database and operating system level.