Thread: What is a Variable and Constant in C# ?

What is a Variable and Constant in C# ?

Hi everybody,
    I don't know much things about the C#, since I am new to this programming language. Before this I have completed the C language. I am confused with the variable and constants. Are they same as in C.?? Also do they use the same syntax as in C language.?? I am getting confused when these term comes.!! So explain me what is a Variable and Constant in C# ..? Also provide me with the syntax or the codes in C#.

Re: What is a Variable and Constant in C# ?

If you want to assign the fixed value to a variable, then you can declare it with the const keyword. But one thing you will have to remember that you cannot change the variable across the application's life. Also while doing the Compilation, you must know the value assigned to a constant variable. You will have to declare the variable, before using it. Without declaring you cannot use the variable. To declare a variable you must first choose what data type it is. The variable can be declared according to its type.
    I do to dead flowers what people at morgues do to dead people. Suck all the moisture out, dip them in plastic, paint them up pretty and put them in a nice frame.

As mentioned above, it is exactly right that you must know the data type of the variable before declaring it. If a number is to be stored then you must use the int data type. After declaring it, you must choose a name for the variable. If you want two or more variables declared in one statement, then you can use the comma to separate them. The following example will explain it more clearly :
    Code:
    int i,j;
    Signatures reduce available bandwidth

In simple words, you can say that variable declarations require a type, a name and, optionally a value assignment. I have given you an example that declares an integer variable. Just have a look at the example :
    Code:
    int Marks;
    In the above example, I have declared an integer variable called Marks but I haven't initialized it. In the below example, I have declared and initialized a variable using the assignment operator (=);
    Code:
    int Marks = 510;

Just like the variables, constants have a type, a name and a value. The following is an example of declaring the constant in C# :
    Code:
    const int totalmarks = 600;
    The difference between the variables and constants is that you will have to initialize the constant always, but there is no need to initialize variable always. Also the C# provides a number of different integer types based on number size and whether the integers are signed or unsigned.